Mosses have been known for millennia and highly esteemed all over the world as the rich source of bioactive compounds. The research targets on evolution of microbicidal potentialities of Rhodobryum roseum (extract) used against selected fungus (X. oryzae pv oryzae, S. enteric, P. multocida and M. plutonius) and bacteria (R. solani, S. rolfsii, F. oxysporum and T. indica) to assay antimicrobial activity. Impact of aqueous and undertaken organic viz., ethanol, acetone, choloform, petroleum ether, methanol extract of R. roseum, at varied concentrations and at different time intervals were examined against the growth of bacteria and fungus. All the aqueous extracts were proved to be infective against all the tested pathogens. The antimicrobial potential of six extracts was screened against undertaken bacteria and fungi using micro broth dilution assay. Out of the six (diverse organic and aqueous) extract of R. roseum in ethanol and acetone showed maximum inhibitory activity in S. rolfsii with the MIC value of 5.00 (µg/ml), along with MFC value of 6.25 (µg/ml) in acetone extract and the value of MBC was recorded utmost in X. oryzae with value 3.00 (µg/ml) extracted in ethanol. Over all, the organic extract of R. roseum has potent antimicrobial activity and could be possible source of lead molecules considered for the future development of microbicidal agent.
- Abdel-Shafi, S., Hussein, Y., Lashin, G. and Abdel-Monaem, Al-S. 2017. An Evaluation of the Antibacterial and Antiviral Activities of Some Bryophytes. Egypt. J. Microbiol, 52(1):63 – 86.
- Basri, D. F. & Fan, S. H. 2005. The potential of aqueous and acetone extracts of galls of Quercus fectoria as antibacterial agents. Indian Journal Pharmacology. 37: 26-29.
- Chopra RS. 1975. Taxonomy of Indian mosses. Publication and information directorate (C S I R), New Delhi.
- Deora, G. S. and Suhalka, D. 2017. Evaluation of Bryophyte for Green Fungicides as Alternative Treatment to Control Plant Pathogen. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research, 9(10): 1373-1379.
- Dewanjee S, Kundu M, Maiti A, Majumdar R, Majumdar A and Mandal SC. 2007. In vitro evaluation of antimicrobial activity of crude extract from plants Diospyros peregrina, Coccinia grandis and Swietenia macrophylla. Trop. J. Pharma. Res. 6(3): 773.
- Gangulee HC. 1969. Mosses of eastern India and adjacent regions. III Bull. Bot. Soc. Beng. 23: 131-134.
- Gracelin, D.H.S., Britto, A.J.D. and Kumar, P.B.J.R.. 2012. Antibacterial screening of a few medicinal ferns against antibiotic resistant phyto pathogen. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 3(3): 868-873.
- Janovska D, Kubikova K. & Kokoška L. 2003. Screening for antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants species of traditional Chinese medicine. Czech Journal of Food Sciences. 21(3): 107-10.
- Kumar K, Singh KK, Nath V and Asthana AK. 2002. Concept of bryophyte in classical text of three species of bacteria. Appl. Boil. 18: 77.
- Latinović, N., Sabovljević, M. S., Vujičić, M., Latinović, J. and Sabovljević, A. 2018. Searching on novel biofungicides from bryophytes. XI International Scientific Agriculture Symposium “Agrosym”, Jahorina October 04-07, 2018.
- Latinović, N., Sabovljević, M. S., Vujičić, M., Latinović, J. and Sabovljević, A. 2019. Bryophyte extracts suppress growth of the plant pathogenic fungus Botrytis cinerea. Botanica Serbica, 43 (1): 9-12.
- Mekuria T, Blaeser P, Steiner U, Dehne HW, Lyr H, Ressell PE and Sisler HD. 1999. Bryophytes as a new source of antifungal substance in crop protection. Modern fungicides and anti fungal compounds II. 12th Int. Reinhardsbrunn Symposium, Fridrichorda, Thuringia, Germany: pp 483.
- Mekuria T, Steiner U, Hindorf H, Frahm JP and Dehne HW. 2005. Bioactivity of bryophyte extracts against Botrytis cinerea, Alternaria solani and Phytophthora infestans. J. Appl. Bot. Food Qual. 79: 89.
- Mewari N, Chaturvedi P, Kumar P and Rao PB. 2007. Antimicrobial activity of moss extract against plant pathogens. J. myco. pl patho. 37(2): 359.
- Sabovljevic A, Sokovic M, Glamoclija J, Ciric A, Vujicic M, Pejin B and Sabovljevic M. 2010. Comparison of extract bio-activities of in situ and in vitro grown selected bryophyte species. Afr. J. Microbio. Res. 4: 808.
- Saxena DK, Singh S and Srivastava K. 2008. Taxonomy of Rhodobryum from Kumaon and Garhwal region of Uttarakhand, India. Ind. J. For. 31(3): 437.
- Sengupta S, Ghosh SN and Das AK. 2008. Antimycotic potentiality of the plant extract Bacopa monnieri (L.) Penn. Res. J. Bot. 3(2): 83.
- Smith AJE. 1978. The moss flora of Britain and Ireland. Cambridge University Press, London.
- Veljić M, Djurić A, Soković M, Cirić A, Glamoćlija J and Marin PD. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of methanol extracts of Fontinalis antipyretica, Hypnum cupressiforme and Ctenidium molluscum. Arch. Biol. Sci.61: 225.