The present study was designed to investigate the nephrotoxicity of tellurium (Sodium tellurite) in rats through evaluating the level of kidney functional marker enzymes and its treatment with Zingerone. Rats were divided into four groups, Group-A (control group), Group-B (tellurium treated group), Group-C (tellurium + Zingerone treatment group), and Group-D (Zingerone treatment alone) and each group have six animals. Tellurium was given in Group-B and Group-C at the dose of 8.3mg/kg bodyweight daily orally for 15 days, while Zingerone of 100mg/kg body weight was given in Group-C as pre- and post-treatment orally for 15days. Group-D was given alone Zingerone of 100mg/kg bodyweight; orally for 15 days. Results revealed that tellurium administration significantly (P<0.001) increased the serum markers (ALP, BUN, Uric Acid and Creatinine) in Group-B as a compared to Group-A while the treatment with Zingerone significantly (P<0.001) decreased these elevated serum markers in Group-C as comparison to Group-B. There were no changes observed in the positive control (Zingerone administered Group-D). Thus, the present finding confirmed that the Zingerone plays a potential role in reducing nephrotoxicity against tellurium by abating elevated serum markers in rats.
- Ahmad, B., Rehman M.U, Amin, I., Arif, A., Rasool, S., Bhat, S.A., Afzal, I., Hussain, I., Bilal, S., Mir, M.U., 2015. A Review on Pharmacological Properties of Zingerone (4-(4-Hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-2-butanone). Scientific World Journal, 2015:816364.
- Ahmad, B., Rehman, M. U., Amin, I., Arif, A., Rasool, S., Bhat, S.A., Afzal, I., Husanin, I., Bilal, S., Mir, M.R.A. 2015. Review on pharmacological properties of Zingerone (4-(4-hydroxy-3methoxyphenyl)-2-butanone). The Scientific World Journal, 2015: 1-6.
- Alam, M. F., Safhi, M.M., Sivakumar, S.M., Anwer, T., Khan, G., Islam, F. 2014a. Anti bacterial toxicity of Sodium tellurite (ST) against selected bacterial strains. Research Journal of Pharmcy and Technology, 7(5): 499-501.
- Alam, M.F. 2014b.Toxicity of sodium tellurite (Na2TeO3) against Aedes caspius larvae in Gizan, Southwestern region, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Environment Conservation Journal , 15(3): 29-33.
- Alam, M.F., Safhi, M.M., Anwer, T., Siddiqui, R., Khan, G., Moni, S.S. 2018. Therapeutic potential of Vanillylacetone against CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity by suppressing the serum marker, oxidative stress, inflammatory cytokines, and apoptosis in Swiss albino mice. Experimental and Molecular Pathology, 105 (1): 81-88.
- Alam, M.F. 2018. Neuroprotective effects of Zingerone against carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) induced brain mitochondrial toxicity in Swiss albino mice. Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences, 10 (2): 548-552.
- Amdur, M.L. 1947. Tellurium. Accidental exposure and treatment with BAL in oil. Occup Med. 3: 386-391.
- Anwer, T., Alkarbi, Z.A., Hassan Najmi, A., Alshahrani, S., Siddiqui, R., Khan, G., Alam, M.F. 2019. Modulatory effect of Zingerone against STZ-nicotinamide induced type-2 diabetes mellitus in rats. Achieves of Physiology and Biochemistry, 2019:1-7.
- Buchanan, M. J., Isdale, I.C., Rose, B.S.1965. Serum uric acid estimation chemical and enzymatic methods compared. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 24(3):285–288. doi:10.1136/ard.24.3.285.
- De Meio, R.H. 1947. Tellurium. II. Effect of ascorbic acid on the tellurium breath. Journal of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, 29: 393-395.
- El’nichnykh, L.N., Lenchenko, V.G. 1971. Histo-morphological changes in animal organs during poisoning with tellurium compounds. Toxicology, 74: 97306.
- Hosten, A.O. 1990. BUN and Creatinine. In: Walker HK, Hall WD, Hurst JW, editors. Clinical Methods: The History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations. 3rd edition. Boston: Butterworths; Chapter 193.
- Kaur, P., Yousuf, S., Ansari, M.A., Siddique, A., Ahmad, A.S., Islam, F.2003. Tellurium-induced dose-dependent impairment of antioxidant status: differential effect in cerebrum, cerebellum, and brain stem of mice. Biological Trace Element Research, 94: 247-258.
- Keall, J.H.H., Martin, N.H., Tunbridge, R.E. 1946. A report of three cases of accidental poisoning by sodium tellurite. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 3: 175-176.
- Mashhadi, N. S., Ghiasvand, R., Askari, G., Hariri, M., Darvishi, L., Mofid, M. R. 2013. Anti-oxidative and anti-
- inflammatory effects of ginger in health and physical activity: review of current evidence. International journal of preventive medicine, 4(Suppl 1), S36–S42.
- Monge, P., Solheim, E., Scheline, R.R.1984. Dihydrochalcone metabolism in the rat: Phloretin. Xenobiotica, 14(12): 917-924.
- National, Research Council, 1996. Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, 7th ed. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
- Peake, M.J., Pejakovic, M., White, G.H. 1988. Quantitative method for determining serum alkaline phosphatase isoenzyme activity: estimation of intestinal component. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 41(2):202–206.
- Roscoe, M.H.1953. The estimation of creatinine in serum. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 6(3):201–207.
- Safhi, M.M. 2018. Nephroprotective Effect of Zingerone against CCl4-Induced Renal Toxicity in Swiss Albino Mice: Molecular Mechanism. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2018: 1-7.
- Safhi, M.M., Alam, M.F., Khuwaja, G., Islam, F., Hussain, S., Fageeh, M.M., Anwer, T., Islam F. 2016. Repeated exposure of Sodium Tellurite on the rat liver and on the potential mechanisms of the metalloid-induced hepatotoxicity. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica - Drug Research, 73(3):675-682.
- Schroeder, H.A., Mitchener, M. 1971. Selenium and tellurium in rats: effect on growth, survival and tumors. Journal of Nutrition, 101: 1531-1540.
- Steinberg, H. H., Massari, S.C., Miner, A.C., Rink, R. 1942. Industrial exposure to tellurium: atmospheric studies and clinical evaluations. Journal of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, 24: 183-192.