Dementia is a disorder which is associated with disruption of cerebral neurons, resulting in its characteristic symptomatology. Acetylcholine neurotransmitter is found to be significant for processing memory and learning. However it is diminished in both concentration and function in patients with Alzheimer disease. Nootropics are the drugs which is used to improve memory and learning by acting as AChEI (Acetyl cholineesterase inhibitors). Cognitive enhancers include drugs interacting with receptors (e.g. NMDA receptor antagonist: memantine), Enzymes (e.g. AChE inhibitors: tacrine, donepezil, galantamine), Antioxidants (e.g. resveratrol, curcumin, and acetyl-L-carnitine), Metal chelators (e.g. calcium and zinc chelator: DP-b99), Vaccines, Monoclonal antibodies (e.g. A beta-Amyloid: solanezumab under Phase III clinical trial). Apart from the pharmacological approaches, supplementation of a healthy diet and healthy physical & mental lifestyle impact cognitive research in the future. There is no remedy for AD. Contemporary treatments just relive the behaviourial symptoms.Treatment centers around making a superior personal satisfaction for the individuals with Alzheimer infection. As of late, undifferentiated cell innovation (stem cell technology), and Nanotechnology has given new bits of knowledge into the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. In this review, we talk about current indicative medicines and future difficulties for new potential illness altering treatments.
- Aisen, P., Schafer, K., Grundman, M., Pfeiffer, E., Sano, M., Davis, K. 2003. Effects of rofecoxib or naproxen vs placebo on Alzheimer’s disease progression: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289: 2819-2826.
- Aisen, P., Schmeidler, J. and Pasinetti, G. 2002. Randomized pilot study of nimesulide treatment in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology, 58:1050-1054.
- Atri A. 2019. Current & Future Treatments in Alzheimer’s disease. Semin Neurol , 39:227-240.
- Barbosa M., Valentino P., Andrade P.B. 2014. Bioactive compounds from macroalgae in the new millennium: implications for neurodegenerative diseases. Mar. Drugs,12(9):4934-4972.
- Bezerra da Silva, C. and Pott, A. 2016. Effect of Donepezil, Tacrine, Galantamine, and Rivastigmine on acetylcholinesterase inhibition in Dugesia tigrina. Molecules,21(1):53-55.
- Crismon, M.L. 1994. Tacrine: first drug approved for Alzheimer’s disease. Ann. Pharmacother., 28(6):744-751.
- Cummings J, Lee G, Ritter A, Sabbagh M. and Zhong K. 2019. Alzheimer’s disease drug development pipeline: 2019 Alzheimers Dement., 5: 272-293.
- Coley N, Gallini A. and Andrieu S. 2015. Prevention studies in Alzheimer’s disease: progress towards the development of new therapeutics. CNS Drugs, 29:519-528.
- Ernst,R.L. and Hay,J.W. 1997. Economic research on Alzheimer's disease: a review of the literature. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord., 11(6):135-145.
- Fan, L.Y. and Chiu, M.J. 2014. Combotherapy, and current concepts as well as future strategies for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat., 10(10): 439-451.
- Godyn, J., Jonczyk, J., Panek, D. and Malawska, B. 2016. Therapeutic strategies for Alzheimer’s disease in clinical trials. Pharmacol Rep, 68: 127-138.
- Galimberti, D. and Scarpini, E. 2011. Disease-modifying treatments for Alzheimer’s disease. Ther Adv Neurol Disord, 4: 203-216.
- Hukins, D., Macleod, U. and Boland, J.W. 2019. Identifying potentially inappropriate prescribing in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Eur J Clin Pharmacol.,75: 467-481.
- Kortte, K.B. and Rogalski, E.J. 2013. Behavioral interventions for enhancing life participation in behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia and primary progressive aphasia. Int Rev Psychiatry., 25(2): 237-245.
- Shadab, Md 2018. In vitro neuroprotective effects of naringenin nanoemulsion against β-amyloid toxicity through the regulation of amyloidogenesis & tau phosphorylation. Int J.Boil Macromol,118: 1211-1219.
- Patel, D.A. 2007. Attenuation of b-amyloid- induced toxicity by sialic acid conjugated dendrimers: role of sialic acid attachment. Brain Res, 1161: 95-105.
- Viegas, F.P.D., Simoes, M.C.R., Rocha, M.D., Castelli, M.R., Moreira, M.S. and Junior, C.V., 2011. Alzheimer's Disease: characterization, evolution, and implications of the neuroinflammatory process. Rev. Virtual Quim., 3(4): 286-306.
- Zhang, L., Liu, J.J., Zhao, Y., Liu, Y. and Lin, J.W. 2019. N-butylphthalide affects the cognitive function of APP/PS1 transgenic mice (Alzheimer's disease model). Chinese Journal of Tissue Engineering Research, 19: 3025-3030.
- Zhang, F.Q., Jiang, J.L., Zhang, J.T., Niu, H., Fu, X.Q., Zeng, L.L. 2020. Current status and future prospects of stem cell therapy in Alzheimer’s disease. Neural Regen Res, 15:242-250.