Malathion is an organophosphate pesticides commonly used to eradicate the pest of agricultural crops. It is routinely used to protect the ornamental and home gardening plants. Malathion is found in market by its trade name called cythion. In Indian scenario farmers and spray men use pesticide in their fields ignoring its toxicological effects. The main target organs of any toxicant in human body are liver and kidney.Present study is based on the effects of different dose of Malathion on blood biochemical parameter like blood sugar, blood urea, creatinine and bilirubin. These four parameters are used to observe the behavior of liver and kidney in albino rats. Four doses of Malathion has been selected as 25 mg, 50mg, 75mg and 100mg per kilogram body weight per day for 7 days and 15 days of treatment. Findings indicate that at normal condition the value of sugar was 121.54 +14.44 mg/dl , blood urea 41.27 + 3.13 mg/dl , blood bilirubin 0.76 + 0.10 mg/dl and value of creatinine was observed as 0.85 + 00.52 mg/dl. with different doses of Malathion after 7 and 15 days the value of blood sugar significantly decreases upto 78.52 + 10.25 mg/dl at higher dose while blood urea value significantly increased up to 50.88+4.8 mg/dl, the value of creatinine significantly increased 1.05 + 0.18 mg/dl and bilirubin also increased significantly 2.20 +0.64mg/ dl. The fluctuation in parameter represents the abnormal behavior of liver and kidney of albino rats due to the toxicity of pesticide.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Attia, A. M. and Nasr, H. 2009. “Dimethoate-induced changes in biochemical parameters of experimental rat serum and its neutralization by black seed (Nigella sativa L.) oil,” Slo. J. Ani. Sci., vol. 2, pp. 87–94.
- Al-Othman, A. M., Al-Numair, K. S., El-Desoky, G. E .2011. “Protection of ????-tocopherol and selenium against acute effects of malathion on liver and kidney of rats,” Afri. J.of Pharm. and Pharmaco. vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1263–1271.
- Apurva, Kumar , Joshi, R, Rajini, P.S. 2012. Organophosphorus Insecticides and Glucose Homeostasis, Insecticides - Pest Engineering, Dr. Farzana Perveen (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-895-3.
- Atef, M. Al-Attar. 2010. Physiological and Histopathological Investigations on the Effects of ?-Lipoic Acid in Rats Exposed to Malathion. J.Biomed.Biotec. Vol-2010 ,1-8.
- Bansal, G., Mittal, S., Sharma, S.K., Jindal, S., Sharma, S., Bhartiya, N. and Gupta, M.M., 2000. Effects of some pesticides of some occupational workers (A Clinico Pathological Investigation). J. Nat. cons. 6:147-149.
- Benjamin, N., Kushwah, A., Sharma, R.K., Katiyar, A.K. .2006. Histopathological changes in liver, kidney and muscles of pesticides exposed malnourished and diabetic rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 44: 228-232.
- Cabello, G., Valenzuela, M. ,Vilaxa, A. 2001. “A rat mammary tumor model induced by the organophosphorous pesticides parathion and malathion, possibly through acetylcholinesterase inhibition,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 471–479.
- Choudhary, N. and Joshi, S. C. 2002. “Effect of short termendosulfan on haematology and serum analysis of male rat,” Indian Journal of Toxicology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 83–87.
- Dahamna, S., Sekfali, N. and Walker, C.H. 2004. Biochemical indicators of hepatotoxic effects of pesticides. Commun. Agric. Appl. Biol. Sci., 69(4): 821-828.
- El-Shater, A.A. 2003. Effects of organophosphorus insecticide parathion on the secretory activity of the thyroid gland and on some biochemical and hematological parameters of adult male rats. J. Egypt. Ger. Soc. Zool. (40A): Comp. Physiol., 447- 456.
- Faris, S. Kata. 2020. Short-time effects of malathion pesticide on functional and Histological changes of liver and kidney in female mice. Pak.J.Biol.Sci. 23(9) 1103-1112.
- Hasheesh, W.S. Marie, M.A.S., Fakhary, F.M. and Mohamed, E.A.A. 2002a. Influence of organophosphorus pesticide triazophos on some biochemical aspects in male albino rats. J. Egypt. Ger. Soc. Zool., (37A): 165-183.
- Jamal, F, Haque, S.Q., Singh, S., Arshad, M.D. 2016. The Influence of Pesticides on Hepatic and Renal Functions in Occupational Sprayers of Rural Malihabad, Lucknow (India). Toxicol open access 1: 106.
- Koul, Prakash, Chander, Mastan. S.A, Mudaser, Andrabi, S.S, Javed, Ahmed, Ganaie and Qureshi, T.A 2006. Biochemical investigations on monocrotophos Exposed fish, channagachua(ham.) Current World Environment, Vol. 1(2), 189-194.
- Lasram, M.M., Annabi, A.B., Rezg. R,.2008.Effect of short-time Malathion administration on glucose homeostasis in Wistar rat. Pesticide Biochemistry &Physiology, 92, 114-119.
- Mohssen,M. 2001. “Biochemical and histopathological changes in serum creatinine and kidney induced by inhalation of Thimet (phorate) inmale Swiss albino mouse, Mus musculus,”Environmental Research, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 31–36.
- Mehrdad, Modaresia , Ali, Reza, Jalalizandb. 2011. The Effect of Endosulfan Insecticide On Blood Parameters in Rat. Procedia Environmental Sciences 8 ; 221 – 226.
- Moh., H. M, Haggag, A. M. H , and El-Gebaly, H.S. 2012. Toxicological Studies of Malathion on Japanese Quail (Coturnix Japonica). Life Science Journal ;9(3);1725-1732.
- Mazdai, A, Dodder, N.G., Abernathy, M.P., Hites, R.A., Bisgsby, R.M. 2003. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in maternal and fetal blood samples : Enviro. Helth. 111(9); 1249-1252.
- Quazi, S., Jamal, F., Rastogi, S.K. 2012. Effect of organophosphorus on biochemical parameters on agricultural workers. Asian J Biochem 7: 37-45.
- Rukmani, A., Pradeep, G., Nayar,Venu, Gopal, Rao, Konda,N. Madhusudhana, E. Madhavi ,M. Chokkalingam, Vikayak, Meti and Sundaravalli, S. 2011. Effects of inhalation of exposure of Malathion on blood glucose and antioxidant level in wistar albino rats. Research journal of Environment toxicology,5(5), 309-315.
- Rao, D.D. and Yadgirkar, G. 2000. Pathology of sub-acute malathion toxicity in Japanese quail. Ind. J. Vet. Pathol., 24: 39-40.
- Rahimi, R, and Abdollahi, M. 2007. A review on the mechanisms involved in hyperglycemia induced by organophosphorus pesticides. Pesticide Biochemistry & Physiology,115- 121.
- Rasha, Abdel-Ghany, Ebaa, Mohammed, Shimaa, Anis, and Waleed, Barakat. 2016. Impact of Exposure to Fenitrothion on Vital Organs in Rats. J. Toxico. vol 2016 pp.1-18.
- Selmi, Slimen, Manel, Jallouli, Najoua, Gharbi and Amjed, Marzouki 2015. Hepatoprotective and renoprotective effects of Lavender (Lavandulastoechas L.) essential oils against Malathion-induced oxidative stress in young male mice, J Med. Food 18 (10), 1103–1111.
- Rodrigues, M.A., Puga, F.R., Chenker, E. and Mazanti, M.T. 1986. Short-term effect of malathion on rats' blood glucose and on glucose utilization by mammalian cells in vitro. Ecotoxicology & Environnemental Safety, 12 , 110-113.
- Sabina, Tos-Luty, Daniela, Obuchowska- Przebirowska, Jadwiga, Latuszynska, Malgorzata, Tokarska- rodak, Agnieszka, Haratym-Maj. 2003. Dermal and Oral Toxicity of Malathion In Rats. Ann Agric Environ Med, 10, 101–106.
- Seifert, J. 2001.Toxicological significance of the hyperglycemia caused by organophosphorous insecticides. Bull. Enviro. Conta. & Toxico., 67,463-469.
- Slimen, Selmi, Kais, Rtibi, Dhekra, Grami, Hichem, Sebai, Lamjed, Marzouki. 2018. Malathion, an organophosphate insecticide, provokes metabolic,histopathologic and molecular disorders in liver and kidney in prepubertal male mice. Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Toxicology Reports 5 .189–195.
- Van,Wendel de Joode, B., Wesseling, C., Kromhout, H., Monge, P., Garcia, M., Mergler, D. 2001.Chronic nervous system effects of long term exposure to DDT. The lancet 357 : 1014-1016.