An experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of different seed treatment and potting media on germination percentage and associate parameters in Stereospermum suaveolens, a threatened dashmool species during May, 2019 at Silviculture Nursery of Tropical Forest Research Institute, Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh). Experimental treatments comprised of twenty treatment combinations consisting of four different seed treatment and five growth mediums. Data on daily seed germination was recorded and used for estimation of final germination percentage (FGP), mean germination time (MGT), coefficient of velocity of germination (CVG), germination rate index (GRI), time spread of germination (TSG), energy period (EP) and peak value of mean germination (PVMG). Critical perusal of analysis revealed that treatment combination ‘Sand + Hot Water’ was resulted in positive effect on all the characters studied and could be used for mass raising of seedlings of S. suaveolens.
- Agrawal, R.L. (editor). 1997. Seed Technology. Oxford and IBH Publishing, New Delhi. 829 pp.
- Anonymous. 1998. Wealth of India. Publication and Information Directorate, CSIR, New Delhi, India.
- Association of Official Seed Analysts. 1970. Rules for testing seeds. Proc. AOSA Anal. 60: 1–116.
- Bedell, P.E. 1998. Seed Testing. Seed Science and Technology (Indian Forestry Species), : 218–222.
- Bench A.R., Fenner, M. and Edwards, P. 1991. Changes in germinability, ABA content and ABA embryonic sensitivity in developing seeds of Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench induced by water stress during grain filling. New Phytologist, 118: 339–347.
- Chauhan, J.S., Tomar Y.K., Singh N.I., Ali S. 2009. Effect of growth hormones on seed germination and seedling growth of black gram and horse gram. Journal of American Science, 5: 79–84.
- Esechie, H. 1994. Interaction of salinity and temperature on the germination of sorghum. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 172: 194–199.
- Jaiswal, P. and Chaudhary, S. 2005. Germination behaviour of some trees and grasses of arid lands. Bulletin of the National Institute of Ecology,15: 201–205.
- Jones, K. and Sanders, D. 1987. The influence of soaking pepper seed in water or potassium salt solutions on germination at three temperatures. Journal of Seed Technology, 11: 97–102.
- Kader (Al-Mudaris), M., Omari, M. and Hattar, B. 1998. Maximizing germination percentage and speed of four Australian indigenous tree species. Dirasat Agricultural Sciences, 25: 157–169.
- Mng’omba S.A., du Toit, E.S. and Akinnifesi, F.K. 2007. Germination characteristics of tree seeds: spotlight on Southern African tree species. Tree Forestry Sci. Biotechnol., 1: 20–29.
- Orchard, T. 1977. Estimating the parameters of plant seedling emergence. Seed Science and Technology, 5: 61–69.
- Scott, S., Jones, R. and Williams, W. 1984. Review of data analysis methods for seed germination. Crop Science, 24: 1192–1199.
- Thomson, J.R. 1992. Testing for germination capacity and vigour. In: Thomson J.R. (ed) An Introduction to Seed Technology. Leonard Hill Publisher, London, pp. 198–22
- Urgenc, S. and Cepel, N. 2001. Species Selection for Afforestations: Practical Fundamentals of Sowing and Planting. TEMA foundation. Publication no.33, Istanbul.