Petroleum hydrocarbons are a critical environmental contaminant and pose a serious hazard to the living system as petroleum hydrocarbons are identified as carcinogenic and neurotoxic organic pollutants. Therefore, remedial methods are required to dispose of it. With a modern understanding of nature and microorganisms, bioremediation is the preferred method for soil pollution control. However, before the implementation of successful bioremediation technology, it is required to assess various physico-chemical parameters of contaminated soil. In the present study, various physico-chemical parameters, including pH, electrical conductivity, water holding capacity, organic carbon, organic matter, available nitrogen, carbonate, bicarbonate, potassium and sodium contents of the petroleum hydrocarbon contaminated soil were estimated. The results suggested a rise in all the estimated parameters for the petroleum hydrocarbon-contaminated soil.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Akoachere, J. T. K., Akenji, T. N., Yongabi, F. N., Nkwelang, G. and Ndip, R. N. 2008. Lubricating oil-degrading bacteria in soils from filling stations and automechanic workshops in Buea, Cameroon: occurrence and characteristics of isolates. African Journal of Biotechnology. 7(11): 1700- 1706.
- Allen, S. E., Grimshaw, H. M., Parkinson, J. A. and Quarmby, C. 1974. Chemistry analysis of ecological materials. Blackwell Scientific Publications. London. Pp 41.
- Atlas, R. M. 1988. Microbiology- fundamentals and applications. 2nd edition. Macmillan Publishing Co, New York, pp 352-354.
- Bhardwaj, S., Khanna, D. R., Ruhela, M., Bhutiani, R., Bhardwaj, R. and Ahamad, F. 2020. Assessment of the soil quality of Haridwar Uttarakhand India: A comparative study. Environment Conservation Journal, 21(3): 155-164. https://doi.org/10.36953/ECJ.2020.21319
- Brady, N. C. 2017. Nature and Properties of Soils, 15th Edition, Pearson Education.
- Clayden, J., Greeves, N. and Warren, S. 2012. Organic Chemistry, Oxford University Press.
- Devatha, C. P., Vishnu Vishal, A. and Purna, C. R. 2019. Investigation of physical and chemical characteristics on soil due to crude oil contamination and its remediation. Journal of Applied Water Science, 9: 89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13201-019-0970-4
- Dhir, B. 2017. Bioremediation Technologies for the Removal of Pollutants. In: Kumar R., Sharma A., Ahluwalia S. (eds) Advances in Environmental Biotechnology. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-4041-2_5
- Fowzia, A. and Fakhruddin, A. N. M. 2018. A Review on Environmental Contamination of Petroleum Hydrocarbons and its Biodegradation. International Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 11(3): 555811. DOI: 10.19080/IJESNR.2018.11.555811.
- Massoud, F. 1972. Some physical properties of highly calcareous soils and their related management practices. FAO/UNDP Regional Seminar on Reclamation and Management of Calcareous Soils. Cairo, Egypt. November 7-December 2, 1972.
- McMurry, J. 2000. Organic Chemistry. 5th ed. Cole: Thomson Learning. Pp 7581.
- Odu, C. T. 1985. Environmental study (soil and vegetation) of the Nigerian Agip Oil company operation area, Nigerian Agip Oil Company Press.
- Onojake, M. C. and Osuji, L. C. 2012. Assessment of the physico-chemical properties of hydrocarbon contaminated soil. Archives of Applied Science Resources, 4(1): 48-58.
- Subbiah, B. V. and Asija, G. L. 1956. A rapid procedure for the determination of available nitrogen in soils. Current Science, 25: 259-260.
- Udo, E. J. and Fayemi, A. A. 1975. The effect of oil pollution of soil on germination, growth and nutrient uptake of corn. Journal of Environmental Quality, 4: 537-540.
- US EPA. 2006, Landfarming. State of Mississippi. Department of Environmental Quality.
- Vidali, M. 2001. Bioremediation: An overview. Pure and Applied Chemistry. 73(7) 1163-1172.
- Vlassak, K. 1970. Total soil nitrogen and nitrogen mineralization. Plant Soil 32: 27–32. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01372843
- Walkley, A. and Black, C. A. 1934. An examination for Degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Science, 34: 29-38.
- Wang, Y., Feng, J., Lin, Q., Lyu, X., Wang, X., & Wang, G. 2013. Effects of crude oil contamination on soil physical and chemical properties in Momoge wetland of China. Chinese geographical science, 23(6), 708-715.