Drought is one of the key abiotic stress that critically influences the crops by restraining their growth and yield potential. Being sessile, plants tackle the detrimental effects of drought stress via modulating the cellular state by changing the gene expression. Such alteration of gene expression is essentially driven by the transcriptional syndicate. Transcription factors (TF) are the key regulatory protein that controls the expression of their target gene by binding to the cis-regulatory elements present in the promoter region. Myb-TFs ubiquitously present in all eukaryotes belong to one of the largest TF family, and play wide array of biological functions in plants including anthocyanin biosynthesis, vasculature system, cell signaling, seed maturation and abiotc stress responses. In the present study the full length Myb TF from Eleusine corocana was subcloned using Gateway cloning system and further transformed into Arabidopsis thaliana through floral dip method. Transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana plants harbouring Ecmyb1 gene were screened and grown in transgenic glasshouse under controlled conditions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Bechtold, N., 1993. In planta Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer by infiltration of adult Arabidopsis plants. CR Academic Science Series, III Sci. View.316:1194-1199.
- Bent, A.F. and Clough, S.J., 1998. Agrobacterium germ-line transformation: transformation of Arabidopsis without tissue culture. In Plant molecular biology manual Springer, 17-30.
- Bent, A.F., 2000. Arabidopsis in planta transformation. Uses, mechanisms, and prospects for transformation of other species. Plant physiology, 124(4):1540-1547.
- Boyer, J. S., Byrne, P., Cassman, K. G., Cooper, M., Delmer, D., Greene, T., Gruis, F., Habben, J., Hausmann, N., Kenny, N. and Lafitte, R. 2013. The US drought of 2012 in perspective: A call to action. Global Food Security, 2(3): 139-143.
- Ciarmiello, L. F., Woodrow, P., Fuggi, A., Pontecorvo, G. and Carillo, P. 2011. Plant genes for abiotic stress. Abiotic stress in Plants–Mechanisms and Adaptations, 283-308.
- Clough, S. J., Fengler, K. A., Yu, I. C., Lippok, B., Smith, R. K. and Bent, A. F. 2000. The Arabidopsis dnd1 “defense, no death” gene encodes a mutated cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 97(16): 9323-9328.
- Clough, S.J. and Bent, A.F., 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium?mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Journal, 16(6): 735-743.
- Duan, H., Ding, X., Wei, Z., Zhou, C. and Zhou, Y. 2011. The influences of Hygromycin B on growth of Arabidopsis thaliana cotyledon and leaf. African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(77): 17742-17747.
- Feldmann, K.A. and Marks, M.D., 1987. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of germinating seeds of Arabidopsis thaliana: a non-tissue culture approach. Molecular and General Genetics, 208(1-2): 1-9.
- Gull, A., Jan, R., Nayik, G. A., Prasad, K. and Kumar, P. 2014.Significance of finger millet in nutrition, health and value added products: a review. Journal of Environment Science and Computer Science Engineering and Technology, 3: 1601–1608.
- Jadhav, P., Salvi, P., Bhatt, M. and Lohani, P., 2018. Expression of ECMYB Transcription Factor Gene Under Different Abiotic Stress Conditions in Eleusine coracana. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology, 11(5): 799-806.
- Jie, Z.O.U., Wei, H.U., Li, Y.X., He, J.Q., Zhu, H.H. and Zhou, Z.G., 2020. Screening of drought resistance indices and evaluation of drought resistance in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 19(2): 495-508.
- Kapoor, D., Bhardwaj, S., Landi, M., Sharma, A., Ramakrishnan, M. and Sharma, A., 2020. The impact of drought in plant metabolism: how to exploit tolerance mechanisms to increase crop production. Applied Sciences, 10(16): 5692.
- Kaur, H., Petla, B.P., Kamble, N.U., Singh, A., Rao, V., Salvi, P., Ghosh, S. and Majee, M. 2015. Differentially expressed seed aging responsive heat shock protein OsHSP18. 2 implicates in seed vigor, longevity and improves germination and seedling establishment under abiotic stress. Frontiers in Plant Science, 6: 713.
- Leng, G. and Hall, J. 2019. Crop yield sensitivity of global major agricultural countries to droughts and the projected changes in the future. Science of the Total Environment, 654: 811-821.
- Negi, B., Salvi, P., Bhatt, D., Majee, M. and Arora, S. 2017. Molecular cloning, in-silico characterization and functional validation of monodehydroascorbate reductase gene in Eleusine coracana. Plos one, 12(11): 0187793.
- Ptashne, M. 1992. A genetic switch: phage and higher organisms. Cambridge, MA: Cell Press.
- Salvi, P., Saxena, S. C., Petla, B. P., Kamble, N. U., Kaur, H., Verma, P., Rao, V., Ghosh, S. and Majee, M. 2016. Differentially expressed galactinol synthase (s) in chickpea are implicated in seed vigor and longevity by limiting the age induced ROS accumulation. Scientific Reports, 6: 35088.
- Salvi, P., Arora, A., and Lohani, P. 2012. Expression of MYB Transcription Factor in Eleusine coracana: towards making of drought tolerant plants, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, USA.
- Saxena, S. C., Salvi, P., Kamble, N. U., Joshi, P. K., Majee, M. and Arora, S. 2020. Ectopic overexpression of cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase gene (Apx1) improves salinity stress tolerance in Brassica juncea by strengthening antioxidative defense mechanism. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 42(4): 1-14.
- Saxena, S. C., Salvi, P., Kaur, H., Verma, P., Petla, B. P., Rao, V., Kamble, N. and Majee, M. 2013. Differentially expressed myo-inositol monophosphatase gene (CaIMP) in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) encodes a lithium-sensitive phosphatase enzyme with broad substrate specificity and improves seed germination and seedling growth under abiotic stresses. Journal of Experimental Botany, 64(18): 5623-5639.
- South Asia disasters.net March 2015. Accessed on April 2020.
- Supartana, P., Shimizu, T., Shioiri, H., Nogawa, M., Nozue, M. and Kojima, M. 2006. Development of simple and efficient in planta transformation method for rice (Oryza sativa L.) using Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 100(4): 391-397.
- TianZi, C., ShenJie, W., Jun, Z., WangZhen, G. and TianZhen, Z. 2010. Pistil drip following pollination: a simple in planta Agrobacterium-mediated transformation in cotton. Biotechnology Letters, 32(4): 547-555.
- Zia, M., Arshad, W., Bibi, Y., Nisa, S. and Chaudhary, M. F., 2011. Does Agroinjection to soybean pods transform embryos. Plant Omics Journal, 4(7): 384-390.