Current study represents the different photoperiodic effect on the moth parameter of Eri Silkworm (Philosamia ricini). During the course of study it was observed that maximum emergence of the moth was obtained in 08 hr light and 16hr darkness which is appropriate photo period in comparison to control (normal light and dark). In the present experiment it was observed that the male moths emerged earlier than the female moth.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Akai, H. 2002. Development and contribution of international society for wild silkmoths. International Journal of Wild Silkmoth and Silk, 7: 1-10.
- Choudhary, S.N. 1982. Eri silk industry, Published by Directorate of sericulture and Weaving Government of Assam. p 16-25.
- Kumari, S.S., Subbarao, S.V., Mishra, S. and Murty, U.S. 2011. Screening strains of the mulberry silkworm, Bombyx mori, for thermotolerance. Journal of Insect Science, 11(116): 1-14.
- Mishra, A. B. 2011. Study of effect of photoperiod on the movement of food through the gut of Bombyx mori Linn. Bivoltine Larvae BVAAP 19: 203-206.
- Rao, R.K. 1986 Response of Silkworm, Samia cynthia ricini (Boisduval) (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae) to photpperiod. Thesis of department of Sericulture, University of Agricultural Science Bangalore.
- Saikia, M., Bhattacharjee, J., Dutta, L. C., and Singha, A. Th. 2014. Effect of Photoperiod on larval growth of Eri Silkworm (Samia ricini Boisduval). Journal of Experimental Zoology India, 17(2): 743-745.
- Sirimungkararat, S., Nuchadomrong, S., Saksirirat, W. and Nopparat, T. 2010. By- product of eri silkworm rearing as preliminary cosmetic product development. 6th International Conference on Wild Silkmoths, Tokyo, Japan, September 21-23, 2010.
- Sirimungkararat, S. 2012. Eri silkworm products and current status of wild silkmoths in Thailand. The 7th International Conference on Wild Silkmoth and Silk Thailand, November 22-24, 2012.
- Sirimungkararat, S. 2014. Eri silkworm rearing in Thailand. International Journal of Wild Silkmoth and Silk. 18: 1-16.
- Tanaka, F. 1966. Ecological studies on the rhythmicity of egg hatching in thesilkworm,B. mori. 11. Effective period of light dark change during incubation for the establishment of hatching rhythm. Journal of Sericulture Science Tokyo, 35: 165 – 167.