The therapeutic benefit of whey with papaya leaf extract was tried to exploit. In the present study, a therapeutic whey beverage was developed using the Extract from Papaya leaves. Various levels of papaya leaf extract were tried at 15, 20, and 25 per cent, sucrose at 7, 10 and 15 per cent and Stevia at 1, 1.5 and 2 per cent. Based on the sensory scores of sensory evaluations by expert panellists, amongst all, 20 per cent papaya leaf extract, 15 per cent sucrose, and Stevia up to 1.5 per cent were ideal for preparing this therapeutic beverage. Finally, based on sensory scores, this therapeutic whey beverage with the addition of papaya leaf extract was optimised as a drink and was used for further detailed analysis.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Baskaran, C., Ratha Bai, V., Velu, S., and Kumaran, K. 2012. The efficacy of carica Papaya Leaf Extract on some bacterial and a fungal strain by well diffusion method. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, s658-s662.
- Bhavsagar, M. S., Awaz, H. B. and Patange, U. L. 2010. Manufacture of pineapple flavoured beverage from chhana Whey. Journal of Dairying Foods & Home Sciences, 29(2): 110 – 113.
- Chatterjee, G., Neve, D. J., Dutta, A. and Das, S. 2015. Formulation and statistical evaluation of a ready-to-drink Whey based orange beverage and its storage stability. Revista mexicana de ingenier?aqu?mica, 14(2): 253-264.
- Choi, H. K. and Curhan, G. 2007. Coffee, tea, and caffeine consumption and serum uric acid level: the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis care & Research), 57(5): 818–820.
- Divya, S., Singh, R. and Bhatt, F. 2014. Development, quality evaluation and shelf life studies of Whey guava beverage. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 4(3): 2171- 2175.
- Girisha, K. S. 2011. Development of kokum blended paneer Whey beverage. M.Sc. Thesis, submitted to Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar, India, in partial fulfilment for the requirement for the degree of M.Sc.
- Gupta, E., Purwar, S., Sundaram, S. and Rai, G. K. 2013. Nutritional and therapeutic values of stevia rebaudiana: a review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 7(46):3343-3351.
- Hazali, N., Mohamed, A. Muhammad, I., Masri, M., Isa, K. A. Md., Nor, N. Md., Ayob, M. K. and Fadzlan, F. N. M., 2014. Effect of Acute Stevia Consumption on Blood Glucose Response in Healthy Malay Young Adults. Sains Malaysiana, 43(5): 649–654.
- Poornima. S, and Puranik, D. B. 2019. Effect of Functional Ingredients on the Sensory Characteristics of Ready to Use Coffee Beverage. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology, 3(4): 318-322.
- Prashanth, B. M., Jayaprakash, H. M., Soumyashree, T. C. and Madhusudhan, N. M. 2018. Development of fruit enriched Whey beverage. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 6(2): 2386-2392.
- Punnagaiarasi, A., Elango, A. and Karthikeyan, N. 2017. Sensory analysis of Whey-based watermelon beverage. International Journal of Science, Environment, 6(5): 3192 – 3155.
- Rajarajan, G., Irshad, A., Raghunath, B. V., Kumar, G. M. and Punnagaiarsai, A. 2016. Utilisation of cheese industry Whey for biofuel ethanol production. Springer, 59-64.
- Ritu, P. and Maya, D. 2016. Formulation of fruit (gauva fruit juice) and Whey based beverages flavoured with different herbs using natural sweetener as Stevia. International Journal of Advanced Research, 4(10): 2183-2187.
- Roshan, A., Verma, N. K. and Gupta, A., 2014. A brief study on Carica Papaya- a review. International Journal of Current Trends in Pharmaceutical Research, 2(4):541-550.
- Shankarlingayya, S. 2014. Development of guduchi-pomogranate Whey beverage. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to faculty of Dairy Technology, Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar, Karnataka, India, in the partial fulfilment for the requirement of degree of M.Sc.
- Savita, S. M., Sheela, K., Sunanda, S., Shankar, A. G. and Ramakrishna, P., 2004. Stevia rebaudiana– A Functional Component for Food Industry. Journal of Human Ecology, 15(4):261-264.
- Zar, J. H., 2003. Bio statistical analysis. J. H. Pub. Pearson Edu. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.