The current investigation was undertaken to develop Ready to Use (RTU) and Ready to Reconstitute (RTR) health beverage supplemented with functional ingredients. It was developed using double toned milk and replacing part of double toned milk with whey at 20, 30 & 40 %, the addition of Stevia:sugar blend (25:75, 50:50 & 100:00), the addition of almond oil or walnut oil at 2, 3 & 4 % and tea decoction at 10, 15 & 20 % later subjected to sensory evaluation. Finally, based on sensory scores, replacement of double toned milk with 30 % whey, addition 100:0 Stevia:sugar blend, 2 % almond oil or walnut oil and 15 % tea decoction was optimised. The optimised health beverage was concentrated to 31 % total solids and spray dried (inlet 180±10 and outlet 80±10 °C temperatures) to obtain ready to reconstitute health beverage powder which was packed in plastic pouches and stored at ambient temperature for further studies. The effect of reconstitution on the sensory characteristics was determined for different ratios. Among all ratios, 1:8 reconstituted health beverage was awarded the highest sensory score, which was comparable to control.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- ADA, 2017. American diabetes association. Standards of medical care in Diabetes. Diabetes care, 37:14–80.
- BAHFS, 2021. Basic Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Statistics, Ministry of Animal Husbandry, Government of India.
- Bhang, S. 2012. Development and functional evaluation of tea fortified synbiotic lassi. thesis submitted to dairy technology division, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, India, in the partial fulfilment for the requirement for degree of M.Sc.
- Brief Guide, 2006. Brief guide to tea. http://www.briefguides. co.uk/content/tea.
- Chen, T. S., Chen, S. E., Chan, P., Chu, Y., Yang, H. and Cheng, J. 2005. Mechanism of the hypoglycemic effect of stevioside, a glycoside of Stevia rebaudiana Plant. Plant Medica, 71:108-113.
- Coelho, O. G. L, Silva, D. B. P., Rocha, D. M. U. S. P., Lopes, L. L. and Alfeneas, R. D. 2016. Polyunsaturated fatty acids and type 2 diabetes: impact on the glycemic control mechanism. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57:3614-3619.
- Comerford, K. B. and Pasin, G. 2016. Emerging evidence for the importance of dietary protein source on glucoregulatory markers and type 2 diabetes: different effects of dairy, meat, fish, egg and plant. Nutrients, 8:2-5.
- Dieren, S. V., Uiterwaal, C. S. P. M., Schouw, Y. T.V.D., Der A.D. L. V., Boer, J. M. A., Spijkerman, A., Grobbee, D. E. and Beulens, J. W. J. 2009. Coffee and tea consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia Springer, 52:2561–2569.
- FDA, 2008. Food and drug administration, center for food safety and applied nutrition (CFSAN)/ office of food additives. Agency response letter GRAS notice No. GRN 000252.
- Food and Agriculture Organization, World Health of the United Nations.63. www.fao.org/es/esn/jecfa/index_en.stm
- Gaudel, C., Nongonierma, A.B., Maher, S., Flynn, S., Krause, M., Murray, B. A., Kelly, P. M., Baird, A. W., Fitzgerald, R. J. and Newsholme, P. 2013. A whey protein hydrolysate promotes insulinotropic activity in a clonal pancreatic ?-cell line and enhances glycemic function in ob/ob mice. The Journal of Nutrition, 143: 1110-1113.
- Gecgel, U., Gumus, T., Tasan, M. and Arici, M. 2017. Determination of fatty acid composition of irradiated hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, and pistachios. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 80(4):578-58.
- Gupta, M., Yadav, M. P. S., Chauhan, A. S. and Averma, R. 2017. Physico-chemical qualities of papaya pulp based whey beverage. International Journal of Pure Applied Bioscience, 5: 341-45.
- JEFCA 2004. Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives.
- Jenkins, D. J. A., Kendall, C. W. C., Joss, A. R., Salvatore, S., Brighenti, F., Augustin, L. S. A., Ellis, P. R., Vidgen, E. and Rao, V. 2006. Almonds decrease post-prandial glycemia, insulenemia and oxidative damage in healthy individuals. The Journal of Nutrition, 136(12): 2987-2991.
- Kuntz, L. A. 2010. Stevia’s sweet story. Food Product Design, 20:1-6.
- Li, T., Liu, J., Zhang, X. D. and Ji, G. 2015. Antidiabetic activity of lipophilic (epigallocatechin-3-gallate derivative under its role of ?- glucosidase inhibition. Biomedicine Pharmacotherapy, 61(1): 91-6.
- Li, T. Y., Brennan, A. M., Wedick, N. M., Mantzoros, C., Nader Rifai, N. and Hu, F. B. 2009. Regular consumption of nuts is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in women with Type 2 Diabetes. The Journal of Nutrition, 139(7): 1335-1337.
- Li, Y., Wang, C., Huai, Q., Guo, F., Liu, L., Feng, R. and Sun, C. 2015. Effects of tea or tea extract on metabolic profiles in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of ten randomised controlled trials. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, 32(1): 2–10.
- Linda, C., Tapsell, Lynda, J., Gillen, Craig, S., Patch., Marijka., Batterham., Owen, A., Bare, M. and Kennedy, M. 2004. Including walnuts in a low fat/ modified-fat diet improves HDL cholesterol-to-total cholesterol ratios in patients with type 2 diabetes. American Diabetes Association, 27:2777-2783.
- Liu, S. Y., Yu, Z., Zhu, H. K., Zhang, W. and Chen, Y. Q. 2016. In vitro alphaglucosidase inhibitory activity of isolated fractions from water extract of qingzhuan dark tea. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 16: 378-88.
- Ma, Y., Njike, V. Y., Millet, J., Dutta, S., Doughty, K., Treu, J. A. and Katz, D. L. 2010. Effect of walnut consumption on endothelial function in type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes Care, 33: 227-231.
- Mahmoud, F., Haines, D., Al-Ozairi, E. and Dashti, A. 2016. Effect of black tea consumption on intracellular cytokines, regulatory t cells and metabolic biomarkers in type 2 diabetes patients. Phytotherapy Research, 30(3): 454-462.
- Riserus, U., Wilett, W. C. and Hu, F. B. 2009. Dietary fat and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Progress in Lipid Research, 48(1): 44-50.
- Singh, S. 2006. Cheese technology. Dairy Technology. New India Publisher Agency, 564-567.
- Stevenson, E. J. and Allerton, D. M. 2017. The role of whey protein in post-prandial glycaemic control. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 77: 42-51.
- Tadhani, M. B. and Subhash, R. 2009. Stevioside and stevia leaf extract as a replacement of sucrose in common beverages: sensory evaluation. Beverage and Food World, 36(1): 55-59.
- Takami, Hejazian, S. and Shendi, E. G. 2016. Evaluation of produced flavoured low lactose milk powder for lactose intolerant. Modern Applied Science, 10(1): 149-152.
- USDA, 2018. United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service. Food Composition Databases. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov.
- Wilson, T. and Temple, J. N. 2016. Beverage impacts on health and nutrition, 9-50.
- Yadav, R., Dhiman, P. and Siwatch, M. 2016. Preparation and analysis of physicochemical and organoleptic properties of soy based beverages. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science Technology & Engineering, 5(2): 31-33.
- Zar, J. H. 2003. Bio statistical analysis. J. H. Pub. Pearson Edu. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Zibaeenezhad, M. J., Farhadi, P., Attar, A., Mosleh, A., Amirmoezi, F. and Azimi, A. 2017. Effects of walnut oil on lipid profiles in hyperlipidemic type 2 diabetic patients: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition and Diabetes,7:1-5.