Present study was undertaken to evaluate the impact of different seasons in larval growth of eri silkworm (Samia ricini Boisduval) reared on Ailanthus species viz., borpat (Ailanthus grandis) and borkesseru (Ailanthus excelsa). The study revealed that the larval growth parameters of eri silkworm was found better in terms of larval duration, full grown larval weight and matured larval weight on the borpat leaves as compared to the borkesseru leaves. Considering the seasons, the full grown larval weight and matured larval weight were observed significantly higher during the autumn season but the shortest larval duration was observed during the late summer season.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ahmed, S. A., Sarkar, C. R., Sarmah, M. C., Ahmed, M. and Singh, N. I. 2015. Rearing performance and reproductive biology of eri silkworm, Samia ricini (Donovan) feeding on Ailanthus species and other promising food plants. Advances in Biological Researches, 9(1): 07-14.
- Anonymous. 2019a. Statistical Handbook of Assam (2018-19). Chapter-11, Sericulture, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Govt. of Assam, pp. 133-137.
- Anonymous. 2019b. Annual report (2018-19). Central Silk Board, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India, p. 95.
- Birari, V. V., Siddhapara, M. R. and Desai A. V. 2019. Rearing performance of eri silkworm, Samia ricini (Dovovan) on different host plants. Journal of Farm Sciences, 32(4): 443-446.
- Chowdhury, S. N. 1982. Eri silk industry. Directorate of Sericulture and Weaving, Govt. of Assam, Guwahati, pp. 1-177.
- Chutia, P. , Kumar, R. and Khanikar, D. P. 2014. Host Plants Relationship in terms of Cocoon Colour and Compactness of Eri Silkworm (Samia ricini). Biological Forum – An International Journal, 6(2): 340-343.
- Das, K. and Das, R. 2003. Growth and development of muga silkworm feed on different food plants. Indian Silk, 11: 19-21.
- Datta, R. K., Kumar, N. S., Basavaraja, H. K., Kumar, C. M. K. and Reddy, N. M. 2001. CSR18 × CSR19 - a robust bivoltine hybrid suitable for all season rearing in the tropics. Indian Silk, 39: 5-7.
- Deka, M., Dutta, S. and Devi, D. 2011. Impact of feeding of Samia cynthia ricini Boisduval (red variety) (Lepidopera: Saturnidae) in respect of larval growth and spinning. International Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology, 5(2): 131-140.
- Deori, G. 2006. Biochemical analysis of Ailanthus leaves and its impact on proximate composition of eri silkworm pupae. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam.
- Devi Borah, S., Saikia, M. and Boro, P. 2020. Rearing performance of two selected eco-races of eri silkworm (Samia ricini Donovan) fed with castor and borpat leaves during spring and autumn season in Assam. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 8(3): 2024-2028.
- Dutta, P. P. 2000. Rearing performance of eri silkworm Philosamia ricini Hutt. by interchanging castor with different host plants in different seasons. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam.
- House, H. L. 1974. Nutrition. In: Rockstein, M. (Ed.), The Physiology of Insecta, 2nd Edition, New York, Academic. 5: 1-62.
- Kumar, R. and Elangovan, V. 2010. Assessment of the volumetric attributes of eri silkworm (Philosamia ricini) reared on different host plants. International Journal of Science and Nature, 1(2): 156-160.
- Morohoshi, S. 1969. The control of growth and development in Bombyx mori L. Relationship between environmental moulting and voltine characters. In. Proceedings of the Japan Academy, 45: 797-802.
- Naik, C. M., Patil, G. M., Murthy, C., Awaknavar, J. S., Shekharappa and Alagundagi, S. C. 2010. Development and economic cocoon parameters of eri silkworm Samia ricini Boisduval (Lepidoptera: Saturnidae) as influenced by new hosts. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 23(5): 716-721.
- Pandey, P. and Tripathi, S. P. 2008. Effect of humidity in the survival and weight of Bombyx mori L. larvae. Malaysian Applied Biology Journal, 37: 37-39.
- Rahmathulla, V. K. 2011. Management of climatic fractors for successful silkworm (Bombyxmori Bombyxmori L.) crop and higher silk production: a review. Psyche, 1–12.
- Sarmah, M. C., Ahmed, S. A., Sarkar, B. N., Debraj, Y. and Singh, L. S. 2012. Seasonal variation in the commercial and economic characters of eri silkworm Samia ricini (Donovan). Munis Entomology & Zoology Journal, 7(2): 1268-1271.
- Shaw, C. 1998. Evaluation of Ailanthus species in relation to nutrition, growth and cocoon characters of eri silkworm, Philosamia ricini Hutt. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam.
- Xue, M., Pang, Y. H., Wang, H. T., Li, Q. L. and Liu, T. X. 2010. Effects of four host plants on biology and food utilization of the cutworm, Spodoptera litura. Journal of Insect Science, 10: 1-14.