In view of understanding the impact of effluents and on the occurrence and distribution of macrobenthic organisms, an investigation has been carried out for a period of 8 months from October 2006 to May 2007 in the nearshore water of Thannirbhavi and Chitrapur receiving treated industrial effluents and Bengre coast having estuarine influences. The quality composition of benthic organism revealed the presence of hydroids such as Obeliasp,Cordylophorasp and companularia sp. Polychaetes belonging to 15 diferent families have been identified and their distribution revealed variation with respect to the type of the effluents. 24 different types of molluscss have been identified and their occurrence and distribution was found to be related to type of sediment and the quality of the effluents. Bulks of crustaceans were formed mainly due to species of Gammarus, Caprellids and Tanaidaceans. The great abundance and diversity of benthic organisms was observed in the Thannirbhavi receiving effluents from a fertilizer industry, when compare to the Chitrapur receiving treated effluents from a dye industry and an oil refinery industry. Silty-clayey sediment harbored higher density of polychaetes where as sandy-silty sediment supported greater abundance of molluscs.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ansari, Z. A., Harkantra, S. N., Nair, S. A., Parulekar, A. H., 1977. Benthos of Bay of Bengal: A preliminary account. Mahasagar, 19( 1&2): 55-60.
- Baban, I., Nimi, R. and Zakir, A. A. 2002. Macrobenthic communities of the coastal waters of Dabhol, west coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 31(2): 93-99.
- Buchanan, J. B. and Kain, J. M. 1971. Measurement of physical and chemical environment.In: Holme,N, A. and McIntyre, A.D., (Eds). Method for study of Macrobenthos, I. B. P. Handbook, No. 16,Blackwell, Oxford, pp.30-58.
- Devassy, V. P. and Gopinath, C. K. 1970. Hydrobiological features of Kerala back waters during pre monsoon and post monsoon months. Fish Technology, 7(2): 190- 194.
- Devassy, V. P., Achuthan, C. T. K., Harkantra, S. N. and Nair S. 1987. Effectof industrial effluent on biota; A case study of Mangalore. West coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Science, 16: 146-50.
- El- Wakeeel, S. K. and Reley, J. P. 1957. Determination of organic carbon in marine muds. J. Cans. Pevur. Int. Explor. Mar., 22: 180-183.
- Gopalkrishnan, T. C. and Nair Chandrasekharan, K. K. 1998. Subtidal benthic macrofauna of the Mangalore coast, west coast of India. . Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 27: 351-355.
- Harkantra, S. N. and Parulekar A. H. 1994. Soft sediment dwelling macro- invertebrates of Rajpur bay, central west coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 23: 31-34.
- Harkantra, S. N. 1982. Studies on sub littoral macrobenthic fauna of the inner Swansea bay. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 11: 75-78.
- Harkantra, S. N., Ayyapan, N., Ansari, Z. A. and Parulekar, A. H. 1980. Benthos of shelf region along the west coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 9: 106-110.
- Jayaraj, K. A., Jayalakshmi, K. V. and Saraladevi, K. 2007. Influence of environmental properties on macrobenthos in the north west Indian shelf. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 459-75.
- Jayraj, E. G. 1982. Studies on currents and some oceanographic factors in relation to fisheries off Mangalore.M.F.Sc., Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.pp:216.
- Kurian C. V. 1971. Distribution of benthos on the south-west coast of India In: Fertility of the sea Vol.I. J.DCOSTLOW Jr.(Ed) Gordan and Breach Scientific publication,Newyork:225-239.
- Lakshmipathi, M. T. 2001. Spatial and temporal distribution of benthos in relation to sediment characteristics in the inshores waters of Arabian sea off Mangalore. M.F.Sc., Thesis. University of agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Menon, P. G., Madhupratap, M., Haridas, P., Venugopal, P. and Rao, T. S. S. 1979. Faunal composition in polluted nearshore environment. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 8: 146-149.
- Mohan, K. 1999. Distribution of macrobenthic organisms in relation to the selected sediment characteristics in the Arabian Sea off Chitrapur receiving industrial effluents. M.F.Sc., Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Nair, R. R., Hashimi, N. H. And Kidawi, R. M. 1978. Topography and sediments of the western continental shelf of India- Vengurla to Mangalore. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 794): 224-230.
- Parulekar A. H. and Ansari, Z. A. 1981. Benthic macrofauna of the Andaman sea. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 10: 280- 284.
- Parulekar A. H., Dhargalkar V. K. and Singhal S. Y. S. 1980, Benthic studies in Goa estuaries. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 200.
- Pillai, N. G. 1977. Distribution and seasonal abundance of macrobenthos of Cochin backwaters. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 6: 1-5.
- Prabhu, H. V. and Reddy M. P. M. 1987. Macrobenthos and sediment distribution in relation to demersal fish catches off Biakampady- Surathkal, South Kanara coast. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 16: 60-64.
- Prabhu, H. V. 1992. Sedimentiological and biological studies of sediments off Honnavar, North Kanara, west coast of India. Ph. D. Thesis. Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri, pp. 1-223.
- Prabhu, H. V., Narayana, A. C. and Katti, R. J. 1993. Macrobenthic fauna in nearshore sediments off Gangolli, west coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 22: 168-171.
- Sahoo, J. K. 1985. Studies on the sediment characteristics in relation to benthos of Talapady lagoon, Mangalore. . M.F.Sc., Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.pp 1-177.
- Sasamal, S. K., Sahu, B. K. and Panigrahy, R. C. 1986.Textural and composition of sediments of Hoogly estuary and nearshore environment. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 15: 201-202.
- Satyanarayana, D., Panigraphy, P. K. and Sahu, S. D. 1994. Metal pollution in harbour and coastal sediment of vishakhapattanam, east coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 23: 52-54.
- Venkatesh, P. H. and Reddy, M. P. M. 1987. Macrobenthos and sediment distribution in relation to demersal fish catch off Baikampady –Surathkal. South canara coast. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 16: 60-64.
- Venugopal, P., Devi, S. K., Remani, K. N. and Unnithan, R. V. 1982. Trace metals in the sediments of the Cochin backwaters.Mahasagar, 15(4): 205-214.