Chia is an important medicinal crop with lot of nutritional value in seeds and there is lot of demand to chia seeds grown without any chemical application. In this context, present study was concentrated on foliar application of different elicitors at 25 and 50 days after sowing as effective plant protectants by inducing plant defense response. Both black and white chia plants sprayed with chitosan at 200 ppm were un-affected by any pest and diseases. The plants sprayed with other elicitors like 100 ppm of salicylic acid, methyl jasmonic acid, potassium silicate, 200 ppm of boric acid, humic acid and 5000 ppm of dry yeast and PGPR are less prone to pest and disease attack. Whereas, the maximum pest infestation and disease incidence were noticed in plants sprayed with gibberellic acid (pest - 2.38 and 1.93%; disease - 0.89% in both) and in control (pest - 1.34 and 1.04%; disease - 1.34 and 0.74%) in black and white chia respectively.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Abdel-Monaim, M. F., Ismail, M. E. and Morsy K. M. 2011. Induction of systematic resistance in soybean plants against Fusarium wilt disease by seed treatment with benzothiadiazole and humic acid. Notulae Scientia Biologicae,, 3(2): 80-89.
- Ashok, K. J. and Pranjali, T. https://ccari.res.in/wasp2.0/index.php
- Aziz, A., Poinssot, B., Daire, X., Adrian, M., Bezier, A., Lambert, B., Joubert, J. M. and Pugin, A. 2003. Laminarin elicits defense responses in grapevine and induces protection against Botrytis cinerea and Plasmopara viticola. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 16(12): 1118-1128.
- Baenas, N., Garcia-Viguera, C. and Moreno, D. A. 2014. Elicitation: A tool for enriching the bioactive composition of foods. Molecules, 19: 13541-13563.
- Brian, P. W. 1959. Effects of gibberellins on plant growth and development. Biological Reviews, 34(1): 37-77.
- Dogramaci, M., Arthurs, S. P., Chen, J. and Osborne, L. 2013. Silicon applications have minimal effects on Scirtothrips dorsalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) populations on pepper plant, Capsicum annum L. Florida Entomologist, 48-54.
- Xu, L., Yang, H., Ren, L., Chen, W., Liu, L., Liu, F., Zeng, L., Yan, R., Chen, K. and Fang, X. 2018. Jasmonic acid-mediated aliphatic glucosinolate metabolism is involved in clubroot disease development in Brassica napus L. Frontiers in Plant Science, 9: 750.
- Dzhavakhiya, V. G. and Shcherbakova, L. A. 2007. Creation of disease-resistant plants by gene engineering. Comprehensive and Molecular Phytopathology, 439-466.
- Ferrari, S. 2010. Biological elicitors of plant secondary metabolites: Mode of action and use in the production of nutraceutics. In Bio-Farms for Nutraceuticals, 698:152-166.
- Garcia-Brugger, A., Lamotte, O., Vandelle, E., Bourque, S., Lecourieux, D., Poinssot, B., Wendehenne, D. and Pugin, A. 2006. Early signaling events induced by elicitors of plant defenses. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 19: 711-724.
- Garcia-Magallon, E., Rojas-Duarte, A., Benavides-Mendoza, A., Ramirez-Godina, F. and Banuelos-Herrera, L. 2002. Application of benzoic acid in foliar form to the cultivation of Lilium cv. Dreamland. Memoria del XIX Congreso Nacional de Fitogenética. Saltillo, Mexico: Sociedad Mexicana de Fitogenetica, p.72.
- Chen, Y., Li, F., Tian, L., Huang, M., Deng, R., Li, X., Chen, W., Wu, P., Li, M., Jiang, H. and Wu, G. 2017. The phenylalanine ammonia lyase gene LjPAL1 is involved in plant defense responses to pathogens and plays diverse roles in Lotus japonicus-rhizobium symbioses. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 30(9): 739-753.
- Hadwiger, L. A. 2013. Multiple effects of chitosan on plant systems. Plant Science, 208: 42-49.
- Hadwiger, L. A. 2015. Anatomy of a non host disease resistance response of pea to Fusarium solani PR gene elicitation via DNase, chitosan and chromatin alterations. Frontiers in Plant Science, 12: 347-350.
- Kanto, T., Miyoshi, A., Ogawa, T., Maekawa, K. and Aino, M. 2006. Suppressive effect of liquid potassium silicate on powdery mildew of strawberry in soil. Journal of General Plant Pathology, 72(3): 137-142.
- Katoch, R. 2005. Effect of elicitors and E. polygoni inoculation on the activity of phenol metabolizing enzymes in garden pea (Pisum sativum L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Biochemistry, 18(2): 87-91.
- Rodas-Junco, B. A., Nic-Can, G. I., Munoz-Sanchez, A. and Hernandez-Sotomayor, S.M. 2020. Phospholipid signaling is a component of the salicylic acid response in plant cell suspension cultures. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21(15), p.5285.
- Cho, Y. H., Choi, G. J., Kim, B. S., Jang, K. S., Yoon, M. Y., Park, M. S. and Kim, J. C. 2011. Control of late blight of tomato and potato by oilgochitosan. Research in Plant Disease, 17(2): 129-135.
- Maksimov, I. V., Cherepanova E. A., Khairullin R. M. 2003. ‘Chitin-specific’ peroxidases in plants. Biochemistry, 68(1):111–115.
- Mandal, S. 2010. Induction of phenolics, lignin and key defense enzymes in eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) roots in response to elicitors. African Journal of Biotechnology, 9(47): 8038-8047.
- Mehdi, S. M., Sarfraz, M. and Shah, S. A. 2007. Response of wheat to applied supplemental potassium in saline sodic soil. Journal of Biological Sciences, 7: 823-826.
- Patel, Z. M., Mahapatra, R. and Jampala, S. S. M. 2020. Role of fungal elicitors in plant defense mechanism. In Molecular Aspects of Plant Beneficial Microbes in Agriculture, Academic Press, 143-158.
- Peng, J., Deng, X., Jia, S., Huang, J., Miao, X., & Huang, Y. 2004. Role of salicylic acid in tomato defense against cotton bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera Hubner. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C, 59(11-12), 856-862.
- Perez-Balibrea, S., Moreno, D. A. and Garcia-Viguera, C. 2011. Improving the phytochemical composition of broccoli sprouts by elicitation. Food Chemistry, 129(1): 35-44.
- Esmailzadeh, M. and Soleimani, M. J. 2008. Exogenous applications of salicylic acid for inducing systematic acquired resistance against tomato stem canker disease. Journal of Biological Science, 8.
- Smetanska, I. 2005. Impact of elicitors on glucosinolate production in plants and exudates of turnip (Brassica rapa). Ph.D. Thesis, University of Berlin, Germany.
- Tavallali, V., Karimi, S., Mohammadi, S. and Hojati, S. 2008. Effects of ?-aminobutyric acid on the induction of resistance to Penicillium italicum. World Applied Sciences Journal, 5(3): 345-351.
- Vimala, R. and Suriachandraselvan, M. 2009. Induced resistance in bhendi against powdery mildew by foliar application of salicylic acid. Journal of Biopesticides, 2(1): 111-114.
- Zhao, J., Davis, L. C. and Verpoorte, R. 2005. Elicitor signal transduction leading to production of plant secondary metabolites. Biotechnology Advances, 23: 283-333.