The purpose of this study is to compare the conventional and ultrasonic dyeing methods in terms of its colour strength and colour fastness properties of wool fabric dyed with Ratanjot root. The results suggested that dyeing of wool fabric with natural dye Ratanjot (Onosma echioides) using ultrasonic waves, significantly improved the dye uptake percentage to 12.31 per cent from conventional heating methods. The fastness grade were found to be higher with ultrasonic than conventional heating. Additionally, the fabric dyed using ultrasonic waves gave a deeper shade and good colour intensity even at lower dyeing time (75min) and temperature (60°C). Therefore, ultrasound wave represents a promising technique for increasing diffusion of dye by the effect of cavitation, as well as for improving the effectiveness of processes when compared to conventional heating
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Arora, A., Gulrajani, M. L. and Gupta, D. 2009. Identification and Characterization of Ratanjot (Arnebia nobilis reichb.f.). Natural Product Radiance, 8:142-145.
- Bains, S., Singh, O. P., Goraya, G. and Kang, M. 2002. Dyeing of Cotton with Goldendrop (Onosma echoides) Dye. Journal of Textile Association, 64:183-186.
- Chattopadhyaya, S. N., Pan, N. C. and Khan, A. 2018. Printing of Jute Fabric with Natural Dyes Extracted from Manjistha, Annatto and Ratanjot. Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research, 43: 352-356.
- Chattopadhyaya, S. N., Pan, N. C., Roy, A. K., Sexena, S. and Khan. A. 2013. Development of Natural Dyed Jute Fabric with Improved Colour Yield and UV Protection Characteristics. Journal of Textile Institutions, 104: 808-818.
- Gupta, L. and Saini, H. K. 2018. Optimization of Dyeing Parameters of Angora Wool with Natural Dye from Root of Ratanjot (Onosma echioides). International Journal of Applied Home Science, 5: 94-101.
- Kamel, M. M., El -Zawahry, N. S. E., Ahmed, and Abdelghaffar, F. 2011. Ultrasonic Dyeing of Cationized Cotton Fabric with Natural Dye, Part 2: Cationization of Cotton using Quat 188. Industrial Crop Products, 34:1410-1417.
- Mansour, H.cF. and Haffernan, S. 2011. Environmental Aspects on Dyeing Silk Fabric with Sticta coronate lichen using Ultrasonic Energy and Mild Mordants. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 13:207-213.
- Mukherjee, S. and Kanakarajan, S. 2017. Extraction, Optimisation and Dyeing of Silk Yarn using Natural Dye from cosmos sp. International Journal of Development Research, 7:13865-13871.
- Paisan, K., Aroonsiri, S. and Nontalee, C. 2002. Thermodynamics of Adsorption of Laccaic acid on Silk. Dyes and Pigments, 53:179-185.
- Parvinzadeh, M., Memari, N., Shaver, M., Katozian, B., Ahmadi, S. and Ziadi, I. 2009. Influence of Ultrasonic Waves on the Processing of Cotton with Cationic Softener. Journal of Surfactants and Detergents, 13:135-141.
- Prabhu, K. H. and Bhute, A. S. 2012. Plant Based Natural Dyes and Mordants: A Review. Journal of Natural Product and Plant Resources, 2:649-664.
- Rahman, N. A. A., Tumin, S. M. and Tajuddin. R. 2013. Optimization of Ultrasonic Extraction Method of Natural Dyes from Xylocarpus Moluccensis. International Journal of Bioscience, Biochemistry Bioinformatics, 3: 53-55.
- Saravanan, P. and Chandramohan, G. 2011. Dyeing of Silk with Eco-friendly Natural Dye obtained from Barks of Ficus religiosa. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, 1:268-273.
- Syed, U., Jhatial, R. A. and Peerzada, M. H. 2013. Dyeing of Organic Cotton Fabric using Ultrasonic Dyeing Technique. 14th AUTEX World Textile Conferences, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan. Pp. 1-7.
- Udrescu, C., Ferrero, F. and Periolatto, M. 2014. Ultrasound-assisted Dyeing of Cellulose acetate. Ultrasonic Sonochemistry, 21: 1477–1481.
- Vankar, P.S., Shanker, R., Dixit, S. and Mahanta, D. 2009. Sonicator Dyeing of Cotton, Wool and Silk with Leaves Extract. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 6: 1-11.
- Yusuf, M., Mohammad, F., Shabbir, M. and Khan, M. A. 2016. Eco-dyeing of Wool with Rubia cordifolia Root Extract: Assessment of the Effect of Acacia catechu as Biomordant on Color and Fastness Properties. Textiles and Clothing Sustainability, 2:1-9.
- Yusuf, M., Shabbir, M. and Mohammad, F. 2017. Natural Colorants: Historical, Processing and Sustainable Prospects. Natural Products and Bioprospecting, 7: 125-145.