The effect of different plant growth regulators on flowering, fruiting, yield, and quality of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cv. Bhagwa was studied in a field trial at ICAR - Indian Institute of Horticultural Research (IIHR), Bengaluru, during two seasons, namely ambe bahar (January–February) 2016 and hastha bahar (September–October) 2016-17. Nitrobenzene (NB) 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 ml plant-1, Cycocel (CCC) 500, 1000, and 1500 ppm plant-1, Uracil 25 and 50 ppm plant-1, CCC 1000 ppm + Uracil 25 ppm plant-1, CCC 1500 ppm + Uracil 50 ppm plant-1, and Control were among the eleven treatments studied. The application of uracil 50 ppm plant-1 resulted in a higher number of hermaphrodite flowers plant-1 (264.7), number of fruits plant-1 (154.0), and fruit yield (27.1 kg/plant). Fruit weight (197.6 g), fruit length (6.64 cm), total aril weight (113.63 g), 100 aril weight (27.18 g), fruit juice weight (101.94 g), TSS content (19.96 OB), fruit anthocyanin content (6.46 mg 100 g) and low titrable acidity (0.41 percent) were recorded when CCC 1000 ppm + Uracil 25 ppm plant-1 was applied. During ambe bahar, the highest fruit width (6.90 cm) and volume (162.7 ml) were observed with CCC 1000 ppm and 1500 ppm plant-1, respectively. During hastha bahar, CCC 1500 ppm plant-1 resulted in a higher number of hermaphrodite flowers (287.8), the highest percentage of fruit set (86.10), the highest number of fruits plant-1 (156.66), the highest fruit yield (54.53 kg plant-1), the highest fruit weight (348.32 g), the longest fruit length (8.53 cm), and the largest fruit volume (8.53 cm) (33.93 ml), total aril weight (224.01 g), 100 aril weight (35.09 g), fruit juice weight (119.40 g) and TSS content (16.00 OB). A foliar spray of nitrobenzene 1.5 ml plant-1 compounded the high fruit anthocyanin content (6.47 mg 100g-1). As a result of the research, it can be concluded that CCC 1000 ppm + Uracil 25 ppm plant-1and CCC 1500 ppm plant-1were the most effective treatments for improving floral characters, fruiting, yield, and quality in pomegranate cv. Bhagwa during both seasons.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Anawal, V.V., Narayana S. P. and Ekabote, S.D. 2015. Effects of plant growth regulators on fruit set and yield of pomegranate cv. Bhagwa. International Journal of Science and Research. 4(9): 220–222.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis, third ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C.
- Arun, K, Sharma, N. and Gopal, Singh. 2016. Effect of paclobutrazol and cycocel on growth, flowering and physiological characteristics of olive cv. Pendulino. Plant Archives. 16, 110–114.
- Arvind, K., Satya, P. and Jeetendra, K. 2018. Studies on flowering behaviour of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) with special reference to red aril cultivars. Progressive Agriculture. 18(1): 110-112.
- Aseri, G.K., Neelam, J., Jitendra, P., Rao, A.V. and Meghwal, P.R. 2008. Biofertilizers improve plant growth, fruit yield, nutrition, metabolism and rhizosphere enzyme activities of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) in Indian Thar Desert. Scientia Horticulturae. 117: 130-135.
- Aziz, M.A. and Miah, M.A.M. 2009. Effect of ‘’Flora’’ on the Growth and Yield of Wetland Rice. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 7(1&2): 9-13.
- Aziz, R.A.B., Naira, A. and Ashraf, M. 2012. Effect of biostimulants on flowering, fruit drop, yield and return bloom of pomegranate cv. Kandhari Kabuli. The Asian Journal of Horticulture. 7(2): 1473-477.
- Aziz, M.A., Miah, M.A.M. and Rahul, K. 2013. Effect of nitrobenzene on flowering, yield and quality in Sunflower. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 8: 125-128.
- Babu, D.K. 2010. Floral biology of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Fruit, Vegetable and Cereal Science and Biotechnology. 4(2), 45–50.
- Bankar, G.J., and Prasad, R.N. 1992. Performance of important pomegranate cultivars in arid region. Annals of Arid Zone. 31: 181–183.
- Bikramjit S., Sukhdev, S. and Sandhu, S. 2012. Effect of growth retardants on vegetative growth, flowering and fruiting of Litchi cv. Calcuttia. HortFloraSpectr.1, 29–33.
- Chaudhari, S.M. and Desai, U.T. 1993. Effects of plant growth regulators on flower sex in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 63: 34–35.
- Daulta, B.S., Singh, H.K. and Chohan, K.S. 1981. Effect of zinc and CCC sprays on flowering, fruiting and physico-chemical composition on fruit in mango (Mangiferaindica L.) cv. Dashehari. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Sciences. 10: 161–165.
- Desai, U.T., Choudhari, K.G., Ran, S.D. and Patil, Y.S. 1982. Alteration of flowering period in Kagzi lime with plant growth substances. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural University. 7: 161–162.
- Dhinesh, B. K., Singh, N.V., Gaikwad, N, Maity, A, Suryavanshi, S.K. and Pal, R.K. 2017. Determination of maturity indices for harvesting of pomegranate (Punica granatum). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 87(9): 1225-30.
- Durgude, R.A., Supe, V.S., Kulkarni, S.S., Chavan, U.D and Nimbalkar, C.A. 2019. Effect of different chemicals on flowering, fruit set and yield in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cv. Bhagwa. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 7(3): 1836-1841.
- Gil, M.I., Garcia-Viguera, C., Artes, F. and Tomas-Barberan, F.A. 1995. Changes in pomegranate juice pigmentation during ripening. Journal of Science and Food Agriculture. 68: 77–81.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. 1984. Statistical Procedure for Agricultural Research, second ed. John Wiley, New York. 278
- Guha, D. 1993. Regulation of tree growth and yield in Golden Delicious apple with Cycocel and Ethrel. South Indian Journal of Horticulture. 41: 333–340.
- Hezagi, E.S. and Stino, G.R. 1985. Chemical regulation of sex expression in certain olive cultivars. Acta Agrobotany. 35: 185–190.
- Hoda, Khalil, A. and Hoda, Aly, S.H. 2013. Cracking and Fruit Quality of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) as affected by pre harvest sprays of some growth regulators and mineral nutrients. Journal of Horticultural Science and Ornamental Plants. 5(2): 71-76.
- Jain, M.C. and Dashora, L.K. 2007. Growth, flowering, fruiting and yield of guava (Psidium guajava L.) cv. Sardar as influenced by various plant growth regulators. International Journal of Agriculture Sciences. 3: 4–7.
- Kachave, D.B. and Bhosale, A.M. 2007. Effect of plant growth regulators and micronutrients on fruiting and yield parameters of Kagzi lime (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle) fruits. Asian Journal of Horticulture. 2: 75–79.
- Kohombange, S, Gunasekera, K.H.L.K. and Kirindigoda, S. 2017. Effects of various concentrations of Nitrobenzene on Bell Pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Journal of Horticulture. 4:4.
- Kumar, V., Singh, A.R., Singh, G.N. and Pal, S.L. 2008. Correlation between flowering and yield characters in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Annals of Horticulture. 1(1): 73-75.
- Kurian, R.M. and Iyer, C.P.A. 1992. Stem anatomical characters in relation to the vigour in mango. Scientia Horticulturae. 50: 245–253.
- Maiti, S.C., Basu, R.N. and Sen, P.K. 1972. Chemical control of growth and flowering in Mangifera indica L. Acta Horticulture. 24:192–195.
- National Horticulture Board, 2018. Area and Production of Horticulture Crops: All India. (accessed 4 March 2020).
- Neale, A. D, Wahleithner, J. A., Lund, M., Bonnet. H. T., Kelly, A., Meeks – Wagner, D. R., Peacock, W. J. and Dennis, E.S. 1990. Chitinase (3-1, 3-gluconase, osmotin, and extension are expressed in tobacco explants during flower formation. Plant Cell. 2: 673-84.
- Pal, R.K., Babu, D.K. Singh, N.V. Maity, A. and Gaikwad, N. 2014. Pomegranate research in India:Status and future challenges. Progressive Horticulture. 46: 184–201.
- Pandey, D.K, Goswamy, C.L. and Kumar, R. 2001. Effect of plant growth regulators on photosynthesis under water logging. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 6: 90–94.
- Pareek, O.P. and Sharma, S. 1993. Genetic resources of under exploited fruits,In: Chadha K.L., Pareek O.P. (Eds). Advances in Horticulture. vol.1. Malhotra Publication,New Delhi,pp. 189–225.
- Phawa, T., Prasad, V.M. and Rajwade, V.B. 2017. Effect of plant growth regulators on growth and flowering of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cv. Kandhari in Allahabad agro-climatic conditions. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 6: 116–121.
- Powerwanto, R. and Inoue, H. 1990. Effects of air soil temperatures in autumn on flower induction and some physiological responses of Satsuma mandarin. Journal of Japanese Society of Horticultural Sciences. 59(2): 207-14.
- Prasad, K.R.S., Mukunda, G.K., Mohan, Kumar, A.B. and Yathiraj, K. 2012. Comparative studies in certain commercially important varieties of pomegranate (Vegetative growth, flowering, fruit set and yield). The Asian Journal of Horticulture. 7(2): 521-523.
- Ramteke, S.D. and Somkumar, R.G. 2005. Effect of cycocel sprays on growth and yield of Tas-A-Ganesh grapes grafted on dogridgerootstock. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 18: 18–20.
- Saroj, P. L, Sharma, B. D. and Kumar, R. 2017. Pomegranate flower regulation and its physiology. 2nd National Seminar – Cum Farmers Fair. Pomegranate for Health, Growth and Prosperity, Pp. 87-94.
- Sangeetha, V. and Ponnuswami, V. 2014. Influence of Different Package of Practices, Growth Regulators and Chemical on Flowering and Yield of Moringa (Moringa Oliefera lam.) Varieties. Trends in Biosciences. 7(8): 670-674.
- Saravanan, S. and Kanowjia, A. 2008. Effect of gibberellic acid on fruit set and physico-chemical properties of guava (Psidium guajava L.). Allahabad Farmer. 64: 72–76.
- Shin, Shinde, A.K, Waghmare, G.M, Wagh, R.G. and Burondkar, M.M. 2000. Effect of dose and time of paclobutrazol application on flowering and yield of mango. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 5(1): 82-84.
- Sivaningappa, K., Patil, D.R., Kishore, K. D., Swamy, G.S.K., Thammaiah, N., Jayappa, J. and Kantesh, G. 2017. Studies on the influence of growth regulators and chemicals on the quality parameters of Grape cv. 2A Clone. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 6(5): 2585-2592.
- Singh, N.P., Dhillon, W.S., Sharma, K.K. and Dhat, A.S. 2016. Effect of mechanical deblossoming on flowering and fruit set in pomegranate cvs. Ganesh – 1 and Kandhari. Indian Journal of Horticulture. 63(4): 383-385.
- Singh, D.K. 2016. Effect of paclobutrazol on growth and bearing mango cultivars. Ph.D. thesis submitted to G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Shawky, I., Zidan, Z. Thomi, A.E. and Dashan, D. 1998. Effect of GA3 sprays on lime of blooming and flowering malformation in Taimour mango. Egyptian Journal of Horticulture. 5: 123–132.
- Shikhamany, S.D., and Reddy, N.N. 1989. Effect of growth retardant on growth, yield and quality in grape cv. Thompson Seedless. Indian Journal of Horticulture. 46: 31–37.
- Srivastava, R.P. and Kumar, S. 2003. Fruits and Vegetable Preservation. International Book Distributing Company, Lucknow, India.
- Supe, V.S. and Saitwal, Y.S. 2016. Morphological, biochemical and qualitative changes associated with growth and development of pomegranate fruit (Punica granatum L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 50: 80–83.
- Upreti, K.K., Reddy, Y.T.N., Shivu, Prasad, S.R., Bindu, G.V., Jayaram, H.L. and Rajan, S. 2012. Hormonal changes in response to paclobutrazol induced early flowering in mango cv. Totapuri. Scientia Horticulturae. 414-418.
- Varasteh, F., Arzani, K., Zamani, Z., and Tabatabaei, S.Z. 2008. Physico-chemical seasonal changes of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) fruit ‘Malas-e-Torsh-e-Saveh’in Iran. Acta Horticulturae. 769: 255–258.
- Wetzstein, H.Y., Ravid, N. and Wilkins, E. 2015. A morphological and histological characterization of bisexual and male flower types in pomegranate. Journal of American Society of Horticultural Sciences. 136: 83–92.
- Xie, S, Lu, Xiaopeng, Zhao, Xiaoli and Nie, Qun. 2015. Effect of water stress on vegetative growth and nitrogen metabolism of pomegranate seedling. Acta Horticulturae. 1089: 63-69.
- Yahya, S., Zabihollah, Z., Reza, F and Ali – Reza, T. 2017. Effect of deficit irrigation on flowering and fruit properties of pomegranate (Punica granatum cv. Shahvar). Agricultural Water Management. 192: 189-197.