The present investigation deals with the evaluation of phenolic, flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity in leaves, stem and roots of Solanum indicum. Powdered samples of leaves, stem and roots were subjected to successive extraction with solvents of increasing polarities i.e. Ethanol, Water: Ethanol (Aqua- alcoholic) (20: 80) and Water (aqueous) using soxhlet apparatus. The results showed the maximum phenolic content (12.351±0.03%) in Aqua- alcoholic (80: 20) extract and maximum flavonoid content (38.658±0.05%) in ethanolic extract of leaves. For stem, both the maximum phenolic (11.750±0.02%) and flavonoid (2.040±0.03%) contents was found in Aqua- alcoholic (80: 20) extract. Similarly, the maximum phenolic (18.651±0.03%) and flavonoid (2.701±0.05%) contents was found in ethanolic extract of roots. The Aqua- alcoholic (80: 20) extracts for leaves and stem and ethanolic extract for roots was found to contain the maximum antioxidant activity.
- Amic, D., Davidovic-Amic, D., Beslo, D. and Trinajstic, N. 2003. Structure - radical scavenging activity relationship of flavonoids. Croatia Chemica Acta, 76(1): 55–61.
- Anonymous. 1986. Publications and Information Directorate, CSIR. The Wealth of India - Raw Materials, New Delhi (India).
- Anonymous. 2003. WHO guidelines on good agricultural and collection practices (GACP) for medicinal plants. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Anonymous. 2018. Nmpb.nic.in [homepage on the Internet]. New Delhi: National Medicinal Plants Board, Ministry of Ayush, Government of India. Available from: https://nmpb.nic.in/medicinal_list.
- Bernardi, A.P.M., López-Alarcón, C., Aspée, A., Rech, S.B., Von Poser G.L., Bridi, R., Dutrafilho, C.S., and Lissi, E. 2008 Antioxidant Activity in Southern Brazil Hypericum species. Journal of the Chilean Chemical Society, 53: 1658- 1662.
- Bhakta, T. 2004. Common Vegetables of the Tribals of Tripura. Agartala (India): Tripura Tribal Research Institute.
- Bhattacharya, A.S. 1982. Chiranjivi Banaushadhi. 2nd Vol, 3rd reprint. Kolkata: Ananda Publishers.
- Boynes, J.W. 1991 Role of oxidative stress in development of complication in diabetes. Diabetes, 40: 405-411.
- Chang, C., Yang, M., Wen, H. and Chern, J. 2002. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, 10:178–182.
- Hasan, R.U., Prabhat, P., Shafaat, K. and Khan, R. 2013. Phytochemical investigation and evaluation of antioxidant activity of fruit of Solanum indicum L. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 5(3):237-42.
- Lee, J.C., Lee, K.Y., Kim, J., Na, C.S., Jung, N.C., Chung, G.H. and Jang, Y.S. 2004. Extract from Rhusverniciflua stokes is capable of inhibiting the growth of human lymphoma cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 42 (9): 1383-1388.
- Marin, A., Ferreres, F., Tomas-Barberan, F.A. and Gil, M.J. 2004. Characterization and quantitation of antioxidant constituents of sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 52:3861–3869.
- McDonald, S., Prenzler, P.D., Autolovich, M. and Robards, K. (2001) Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of olive extracts. Food Chemistry, 73:73-84.
- Oboh, G., Puntel, R.L. and Rocha, J.B.T. 2007. Hot pepper (Capsicum annuum, Tepin & Capsicum chinese, Habanero) prevents Fe2+ induced lipid peroxidation in Brain—In vitro. Food Chemistry, 102(1):178–185.
- Odubanjo, V.O., Oboh, G. and Ibukun, E.O. 2013. Antioxidant and anticholinesterase activities of aqueous extract of Uraria picta (Jacq.) DC. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 7(41): 2768-2773.
- Pandeya, K.B., Tripathi, I.P., Mishra. M.K. and Jaiswal, N. 2016. Antiradical and Antioxidant properties of some oxovanadium (IV) complexes of l-amino acids. Journal of Biological Sciences and Medicine, 2(4): 38-47.
- Patel, B.D., Kamariya, Y.H. and Patel, M.B. 2011. Antioxidant potential of aqueous extract of entire plant of Uraria picta Desv. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 3 (4): 92-96.
- Pathak, J.M., Krishnamurthy, R., Chandorkar, M.S., Gulkari, V.D. and Rajendra, G. 2005. Identification of high yielding genotypes of Dashmool Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum) drug plant and its cultivation under high density planting. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 62(4): 378-84.
- Prakash, D., Gupta, C. and Sharma, G. 2012. Importance of Phytochemicals in Nutraceuticals. Journal of Chinese Medicine Research and Developmen, 1(3): 70-78.
- Saeed, N., Khan, M.R. and Shabbir, M. 2012. Antioxidant activity, total phenolic and total flavonoid contents of whole plant extracts Torilis leptophylla L. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 12: 221.
- Saxena, M., Jyoti, S., Nema, R., Dharmendra, S. and Abhishek, G. 2013. Phytochemistry of Medicinal Plants. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 1 (6): 168-182.
- Sharma, V., Hem, K., Seth, A. And Maurya, S.K. 2017. Solanum indicum Linn.: An ethnopharmacological, phytochemical and pharmacological review. Current Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Allied Sciences, 1(2):1-9.
- Varghese, S., Narmadha, R., Gomathi, D., Kalaiselvi, M. and Devaki, K. 2013 Phytochemical screening and HPTLC finger printing analysis of Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) seed. Journal of Acute Disease, 2(2): 122-126.
- Yadav, A.K., Yadav, D., Shanker, K., Verma, R.K., Saxena, A.K. and Gupta, M.M. 2009. Flavone Glycoside Based Validated RP-LC Method for Quality Evaluation of Prishniparni (Uraria picta). Chromatographia, 69 (7-8): 653-8.