The present study dealt to standardize the post harvesting practices (drying, processing, suitable containers, storage duration) of Celastrus paniculatus seeds in terms of oil content which revealed the sun drying better in comparison to shade and oven drying to maintain quality of seeds. It is also recommended to wash the seeds in water before storage to remove the outer pulpy layer on the seeds which allows the infestation of saw-toothed grain beetle (Oryzaephilus surnemensis Linn.). Moreover, high density polythene (HDPE) bags, 4-5oC and duration of six months were found optimum for storage of Malkangni seeds in term of oil content.
- Anonymous. 2020. https://www.nmpb.nic.in/medicinal_list.
- Ansari, S.H. 2011. Essentials of Pharmacognosy. Birla publications pvt ltd, 10-16.
- Downs, S. and Compton, E. 1955. Crop drying with heated air. Agricultural Engineering, 36: 90–92.
- Gatinode, B.B., Raiker, K.P., Shroff, F.N. and Patel, J.R. 1957. Pharmacological studies with malkanguni, an indigenous tranquilizing drug (preliminary report). Current Practice, 1: 619-621.
- Hakim, R.A. 1964. A trial report on Malkangni oil with other indigenous drugs in the treatment of psychiatric cases, 77-78. In: Gujrath State Branch, IMA Med Bulletin.
- Jadhav, R.B. and Patwardhan, B. 2003. Anti-anxiety activity of Celastrus paniculatus seeds. Indian Journal of Natural Products, 19(3): 16-19.
- Kalt, W., Forney, F.C., Martin, A. and Prior, R.L. 1999. Antioxidant capacity, vitamin C, phenolics, and anthocyanins after fresh storage of small fruits. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 47: 4638–4644.
- Kamboj, A. 2012. Analytical Evaluation of Herbal Drugs. In: Vallisuta, O. (Ed), Drug Discovery Research in Pharmacognosy. 1st ed. Rijeka, Croatia: Tech Publication
- Karlund, A., Moor, A., Sandell, M. and Karjalainen, R.O. 2014. The Impact of harvesting, storage and processing factors on health-promoting phytochemicals in berries and fruits. Processes, 2: 596-624.
- Kokate, C.K. and Gokhale, S.B. 2004. Pharmacognosy. Niraliprakashan, Delhi.
- Masand, S., Madan, S. and Balian, S.K. 2014. Modern concept of storage and packaging of raw herbs used in Ayurveda. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, 5(2): 242-245.
- Nadkarni, A.K. 1976. In: Nadkarni's Indian Materia Medica, 1-296, Popular Prakashan, Bombay, India.
- Nalini, K., Aroor, A.R., Kumar, K.B. and Rao, A. 1986. Studies on biogenic amines and metabolites in mentally retarded children on Celastrus oil therapy. Alternative Medicine, 1: 355-360.
- Singh, N. 2008. Processing techniques of NWFPs of Chhattisgarh TBOs – Madhuca latifolia, Shorea obusta, Schleichera oleosa, Pongamia pinnata and Buchanania lanzan. A project report submitted to TFRI, Jabalpur.
- Sinh, M. 1999. Effect of gamma radiation and different packings used for storage of the drug bahera fruit (Terminalia bellerica Roxb.) on microflora population (fungi, pathogenic bacterial sp. & spc) and on the phytoconstituents (protein and tannin). Ancient Science of Life, 18 (3&4): 218 – 227.
- Tanko, H., Carrier, D.J., Duan, L. and Clausen, E. 2005. Pre - and post-harvest processing of medicinal plants. Plant Genetic Resources, 1–11.
- Thillaivanan, S. and Samraj, K. 2014. Challenges, Constraints and Opportunities in Herbal Medicines – A Review. International Journal of Herbal Medicine, 2(1): 21-24.