The objective of this experiment is to determine the effect of nitrogen fertilizer dosses on the yield attributed and seed yield of silybum during rabi season 2018-19 towards development of new agrotechnology. For this purpose, different fertilizer dosses were evaluated and their responses were ascertained with respect to yield attributes and economic yield of silybum. The field experiment was conducted to study the effect of four treatments of different nitrogen doses viz., T1 (control), T2 (NPK @ 80:80:60/ha), T3 (NPK @ 100:80:60/ha) and T4 (NPK @ 120:80:60/ha kg NPK ha-1) with the spacing 50*50cm row to row & plant to plant respectively with three replicates. The result showed significant influence of higher nitrogen doses T4 (NPK @ 120:80:60/ha kg NPK ha-1) produced higher economic seed yield (9.35 q/ha-1 ) followed by T3 (NPK @ 100:80:60/ha) NPK produced (8.50 q/ha-1 ) and T2 (NPK @ 80:80:60/ha) produced (6.60 q/ha) seed yield, and lowest seed yield (2.55 q/ha) were recorded in T1(control) without fertilizer. The observation recorded revealed highest economic yield attribute like; plant height (288.00 cm), canopy ( 102.1 * 99.2 cm), number of leaf (10) and highest seed yield (9.35 q/ha) were recorded in T4 application of NPK @ 120:80:60/ha kg NPK ha-1 as compared to other treatments. Therefore, recommended application of NPK @ 120:80:60/ha kg NPK ha-1 is recommended for quality cultivation of silybum to get higher economic yield and return.
- BSBI List. 2007. Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Greenlee, H., Abascal, K., Yarnell, E. and Ladas, E. 2007. "Clinical Applications of Silybum marianum in Oncology". Integrative Cancer Therapies, 6 (2): 158–165.
- Haban, M., Otepka1, P., Kobida1, L. and Habanova, M. 2009. Production and quality of milk thistle (Silybum marianum [L.] Gaertn.) cultivated in cultural conditions of warm agri-climatic macroregion. Hort. Sci. (PRAGUE), 36(2): 25–30.
- Hogan, F.S., Krishnegowda, N.K., Mikhailova, M., Kahlenberg, M.S. 2007. Flavonoid, Silibinin, Inhibits Proliferation and Promotes Cell-Cycle Arrest of Human Colon Cancer. Journal of Surgical Research. 143 (1): 58–65.
- Kapahi, B.K., Srivastava, T.N., Balyan, S.S. and Sarin Y.K. 1995. Cultivation Of Silybum Marianum Gaertn: A Promising Medicinal Plant. Ancient Science of Life, 14(4): 240-244.
- Kroll, D. J., Shaw, H.S., Oberlies, N.H. 2007. "Milk Thistle Nomenclature: Why It Matters in Cancer Research and Pharmacokinetic Studies". Integrative Cancer Therapies. 6(2): 110–119.
- Rambaldi, A., Jacobs, B.P. and Gluud, C, 2007. Milk thistle for alcoholic and/or hepatitis B or C virus liver diseases. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (4): CD003620. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD003620.pub3.PMID 17943794.
- Singh, J.P., Kapahi, B.K. and Sarin, Y.K. 1982. Ecology of Silybum marianum Garetn: A medicinal Plant. J. Econ. Tax. Bot., 3:665 – 668.
- Snedecor, G.M. and Cochran, W.G., 1967. Statistical Methods. Iowa State College Press, Ames, IA.
- Tucker, J.M., Cordy, D.R. Berry, L.J. Harvey, W.A. and Fuller, T.C. 1961. Nitrate Poisoning in Livestock. Agricultural Publications, University of California. Pp 1-12.
- USDA. 2015. "Silphium marianum". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 15 November 2015.