The present study was under taken to assess the physico-chemical parameters and phytoplanktonic diversity of Tumaria reservoir Kashipur in the District Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand, from January 2017 to December 2017. The quantitative analysis of physico-chemical parameter like temperature, pH, transparency, velocity, total dissolved solids, dissolved oxygen; chloride, and qualitative analysis of three major groups of phytoplankton (Chlorophyceae, Bacilloriophyceae and Cyanophyceae) were studied. The aim of this study was to monitor the functioning of reservoir ecosystem and designed to monitor monthly variation in water quality parameter of Tumaria reservoir so as to assess its status and suitability. During this study it was found that all the selected physico-chemical parameters were within the prescribed limits for aquaculture. It was also found that Chlorophyceae (53%) was the dominant over bacillariophyceae (26%) and cyanophyceae (21%). Anthropogenic activities and monthly variation also assessed during study period.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- APHA-AWWA-WPCS, 1998. The examination of water and waste water 20th Edition Washington DC.
- Bhadula, S. and Joshi, B.D., 2012. Studies on Phytoplanktonic Diversity of River Ganga, Within Haridwar City, Uttarakhand. J. Environ. & Bio. Sci.26 (1): 139-141.
- Bhadula, S., Sharma, V. and Joshi, B.D., 2013. Impact of Touristic Activities on Water Quality of Sahashtradhara Stream, Dehradun. Int. Journal of Chem & Tech.. 6 (1). 213-221.
- Bhutiani, R., Khanna, D.R., Malik Rahul Ahamad Faheem and Tyagi Varun, 2018.Physico-Chemical characterization of River Ganga at Haridwar, Uttarakhand. Water biology, (ISBN-978-93-5056-888-0):143-159.
- Bhutiani R., Khanna, D.R., Ahamad Faheem and Tyagi Varun, 2018. Assessment of water quality stauts of Malin river at Najibabad, Bijnor (UP), Water biology, (ISBN-978-93-5056-888-0):281-307.
- Chellappan, N.T., Borba, J.M., and Rocha, O., 2008. Phytoplankton community and physicochemical characteristics of water in the public reservoir of cruzeta, R.N. Brazil. Braz. J. Biol.,68: 477-494.
- Davis, T., 1995. The marine and fresh water plankton community constables and company limited London:539.
- Edmondshon W. T. 1991 & The uses or ecology: Lake Washington and beyond. Unlv. of Washington Press. Seattle.
- Johnson, J.A. & M. Arunachalam, 2009. Diversity, distribution and assemblage structure of fishes in streams of southern Western Ghats, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa 1(10): 507–513.
- Johnson, J.A., Ramesh, R.K., Sen, S. and Sreenivasa, M. R., 2012. Fish diversity and assemblage structure in Ken River of Panna landscape, central India. Journal of Threatened Taxa. 4(13): 3161–3172.
- Khanna and Bhutiani, 2005. Water analysis at glance, ASEA publication Rishikesh :1-115.
- Khanna D.R., and Bhutiani R., 2005. Benthic fauna and its ecology of river Ganga from Rishikesh to Haridwar (Uttarakhand) India. Environment Conservation Journal 6(1):33-40.
- Khanna, D.R., 1993. Ecology and Pollution of Ganga River, Ashish publication house Delhi :1-241.
- Khanna, D.R., Bhutiani R., Tyagi Varun and Ahamad Faheem 2014. Impact of Sugar mill Effluent on Physico-chemical properties of Malin River in Najibabad. Indian J. Sci. Res. Spl. Ed. NSESIR :5-10
- Kumar Pramod, Panday Anupama and Upadhyay Hem Chandra. 2014a. Seasonal variation in physico-chemical properties of Kali River in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand, India. J.Environ. Res. Develop. 8(3A): 600-606.
- Kumar Pramod, Upadhyay Hem Chandra and Panday Anupama. 2014 b. Monthly variation in physico- chemical properties of Kosi River in Almora, District, UK. Environ. Cons. Journal, 15(1 and 2): 201-205.
- Kumar, P., 2009. The impact of Tehri dam on aquatic ecologyof Bhagirathi River at Tehri Garhwal.Ph.D. Thesis,G.K.V. Haridwar.
- Kumawat, D.A. and Jawale, A.K. (2003): Phytoplankters of a fish pond at Anjale, Maharashtra. Eco-Env. and Cons. 9 (3):411-415.
- Pawar, B.A. and Mane, U.H., 2006. Hydrography of sadatpur lake near Pravaranagar, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. J. Aqua. Biol., 21 (1): 101-104.
- Ruhela Mukesh, Bhutiani R., Ahamad Faheem, 2017. Pollution Status of River Hindon from Ghaziabad to Noida with Special Reference to Heavy Metals. International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development , 4( 8):540-548.
- Tas, T., Beyhan, S., and Gonulol, A., 2007. An ecologic and taxonomic study on phytoplankton of a shallow lake, Turkey. J. Environ. Biol., 28:439-445.
- Trivedy,R.K. and Goel,P.K.., 1984. Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies, Environ, publication karad, Maharashtra India.
- Wehch, T.S., 1952. Limnology (2nd edn.).New York: McGraw Hill Book Co.:538.
- Welch, P.S., 1948. Limnology methods. McGraw-Hill book Co.Inc.montreal.