The nature is abode to numerous plants, animal and mineral resources that offersustainable alternative to chemicalsused in textile dyeing. In this paper an effort has been made to utilize the roots of Himalayan nettle plant for fabric dyeing which grows abundantly in-the higher altitude of Uttarakhand as a weed plant. The extraction and dyeing variables were optimized for application on silk fabric on the basis of colour strength and wash fastness rating. Dye extraction carried out in aqueous medium at simmering temperature for 1.5 hoursresulted in better colour depth and washing fastness. Similarly, dyeing of silk at 90ºC for 90 minutes using 3 gm per 100 ml powdered dye material yielded better dyed samples in terms of colour strength and wash fastness. The obtained dye recipe is easy to be used by dyeing units at minimal cost since no chemicals are added during dyeing and raw material can be collected from pastures, around croplands and nearby forest areas.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ammayappan, L. 2009. Application of natural colours on woolen materials. Wool Technology.
- Bird, C. L. 1989.Theory and practices of wool dyeing, 4th edition Society of Dyes and Colorists. 111.
- BIS. 1979.IS 3361:1979. R2003. Method for determination of colour fastness of textile materials to washing: Test 2.
- Bouzidi, A., Baaka, N., Salem, N., Mhenni, M. F., Mighri, Z. 2016. Limoniastrummonopetalum stems as a new source of natural colorant for dyeing wool fabrics. Fibers and Polymers, 17(8):1256-1261.
- Farooq, A., Ali, S.; Abbas, N. and Ashraf, M. 2013. Optimization of extraction and dyeing parameters for natural dyeing of cotton fabric using marigold (Tageteserecta). Asian Journal of Chemistry, 25(11):5955-5959.
- Gulrajani, M. L. 1999. Present Status of Natural Dyes. In: Convention of natural dyes. 9th – 11th December, 1999. Department of Textile Technology. IIT. Delhi, Replica Production. 3-22.
- Kamel, M. M., El-Shishtawy, R. M.,Yussef, B.M. and Mashaly, H. 2005.Ultrasonic assisted dyeing III. Dyeing of wool with lac as a natural dye. Dyes and Pigments, 65: 103-110.
- Kamel, M.M., El-Shishtawy, R. M., Youssef, B. M. and Mashaly, M. H. 2007. Ultrasonic assisted dyeing. IV.dyeing of cationised cotton with lac natural dye. Dyes and Pigments, 73: 279–284.
- Karim, S. A., Shakyawar, D. B. and Joshi, A. (Eds.). Agrotech Publishing Academy, Udaipur, India, 336-348.
- Kumar, A., Raja, A. S. M., Shakyawar, D. B., Pareek, P. K., Krofa, D. 2015. Efficacy of natural dye from Gerardiana diversifolia on pashmina (Cashmere) shawls. Indian Journal of Fibre & Textile Research, 40(6):180-183.
- Misra, S.,Dhyani, D. and Maikhuri, R. K.2010. Wild edible leaves: A study of their subsistence dietetic support to the inhabitants in Nanda Devi biosphere reserve, Uttaranchal. downloaded from http://lyonia.org/articles/deep_dsmile/article_498/pdf/article.pdf.
- Mongkholrattanasit, R., Kryšt?fek, J., Wiener, J. and Viková , M. 2011. Dyeing, fastness, and UV protection properties of silk and wool fabrics dyed with Eucalyptus leaf extract by the exhaustion process. Fibres & textiles in Eastern Europe, 19(3):94-99.
- Mukherjee, S. and Karajan, S. K., 2017. Extraction, optimisation and dyeing of silk yarn using natural dye from cosmos sp. International Journal of Development Research, 7(07):13865-13871.
- Nagia, F.A. and Mohamedy R. S. R. 2006. Dyeing of wool with natural anthraquinone dyes from Fusariumoxysporum. Dyes and Pigment, 75:550–555.
- Shenai, V. A. 1997. Technology of textile processing (2nd ed.). Mumbai: Sevak publications. pp-159–193.
- Swamy, V. N., Gowda, K. N. N. and Sudhakar, R. 2016. Extraction and dyeing conditions of natural dye from flowers of Plumeriarubra L. on textiles and fastness properties. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 15(2):278-284.
- Vidhya, R. and Gowda K. N. 2017. Fastness Properties of Silk Fabric Dyed with Extraction of Psoralea Corylifolia (L). International Journal on Textile Engineering and Processes, 3(3): 9
- Yusuf, M., Mohammad, F. and Shabbir, M. 2017.Eco-friendly and effective dyeing of wool with anthraquinone colorants extracted from Rubiacordifolia roots: Optimization, colorimetric and fastness assay. Journal of King Saud University – Science, 29: 137–144.
- Yusuf, M., Mohammad, F., Shabbir, M.and Khan, M. A. 2016. Eco-dyeing of wool with Rubia cordifolia root extract: Assessment of the effect of Acacia catechu as biomordant on color and fastness properties. Textiles and Clothing Sustainability, 2(10):1-9