Heavy metal contamination in fresh water bodies is of great concern owing to their toxicity, persistence and bioaccumulation. The current study deals with the acute toxicity of cadmium to fresh water fish, Channa punctatus. The objective of this study was to grasp the link between mortality and abnormal behavioral and morphological changes of C. punctatus exposed to cadmium chloride. Static bioassay tests were carried out to evaluate LC50 value of Cadmium (Cd) for fresh water fish, C. punctatus as well as the behavioral responses and morphological changes were also observed. Fish after treatment with various concentrations of cadmium chloride for different exposure period the percent mortality was recorded. The lowest cadmium chloride concentration at which mortality was observed as 45 mg/l. The first death of experimental fish was recorded as 125 mg/l at 24 hrs. of exposure. After 96 hrs. LC50 value of cadmium (Cd) was found to be 80.62mg/l. The major behavioral responses observed during the experiment were restlessness, jumping, erratic swimming, gulping of air at the surface, loss of equilibrium, sluggishness,opercular movements and fishes lied on the water surface before death and morphological changes like, discoloration of skin, pigmented patches on body, shedding of scales, sedimentation of chemical on body, mucous secretion, and ballooning were observed in exposed animals. The observed data showed that C.punctatus can be used as a good bio-indicator for heavy metal contamination in fresh water bodies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Absunullah, M., Negilsky, D. S., and Mobly, M.C. 1981. Toxicity of Zinc, Cadmium and Copper to Shrimp, Callianassa australiensis effects of individual metals. Marine Biology, 64(3): 299-304.
- Afshan, S., Ali, S., Ameen, U., Farid, M., Bharwana, S., Hannan, F., Ahmad, R., 2014. Effect of different heavy metal pollution on fish. RJCES, 2: 74-79.
- Agarwal, S.K. 1991. Bioassay evaluation of acute toxicity levels of mercuric chloride to an air breating fish, Channa punctatus (Bloch.): Mortality and Behaviour study. Journal of Environmental Biology, 12(2): 99-106.
- Anita S., Sobha K. and Tilak, K.S. 2010. A study on acute toxicity, oxygen consumption and behavioural changes in the three major carps, Labeo rohita, Catla catla and Cirrhinus mrigala exposed to Fenvalerate. Bioresource Bulletin, 33-40.
- Bakshi, A., Panigrahi, A., 2018. A comprehensive review on chromium induced alterations in fresh water fishes. Toxicology Reports, 5: 440-447.
- Bisht, I. and Agarwal, S. K. 2007. Cytomorphological and histomorphological changes in mucous cells of general body epidermis of Barilius vagra (Cyprinidae, Pisces) following exposure to herbicide-BLUE VITROL (CuSO4): A statistical analysis. Journal of Experimental Zoology, 10: 27-36.
- Brraich, O. S. and Kaur, M. 2015. Behavioural and Morphological Manifestations in LabeoRohita (Hamilton Buchanan) Under the Exposure of Lead Nitrate. International Journal of Scientific Research, 4 (8): 196-198.
- Dhara, K., Mukherjee, D. and Saha, N. C. 2014. Acute and chronic toxicity of cadmium to male Clarias batrachus Linn. with special reference to their haematological changes. International Journal of Scientific Research, 3 (12): 28-30.
- Finney, D.J. 1971. Statistical methods for biological analysis. 3rd edition, London.
- Gill, T.S. and Pant, J.C. 1985. Mercury induced blood anomalies in the fresh water teleost, Barbus conchonius. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 24, 165-171.
- Gupta, D., Dwivedi, A.K., and Tripathi, M. 2018. Taxonomic validation of five fish species of subfamily Barbinae from the Ganga river system of northern India using traditional and truss analyses. PLoS One, 13 (10): e0206031.
- Gupta, N., and Dua, A. 2015. Impact of mercury on morphology of Channa punctatus. Global Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 3(1): 5-7.
- Halappa, R. and David, M. 2009. Behavioral responses of the freshwater fish, Cyprinuscarpio (Linn) following sublethal exposure to chlorpyrifos. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 9: 233-238.
- Hesni. M. A. et al. 2011. Study the Acute toxicity of lead nitrate metal salt on behavioral changes of the milkfish (Chanoschanos). World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences (WJFMS), 3(6): 496-501.
- Jaishankar, M., Tseten, T., Anbalagan, N., Mathew, B.B. and Beeregowda, K.N., 2014. Toxicity, mechanism and health effects of some heavy metals. Interdisciplinary Toxicology, 7: 60-72.
- Kakade, A., Salama, E., Pengya, F., Liu, P. and Li, X. 2020. Long-term exposure of high concentration heavy metals induced toxicity, fatality, and gut microbial dysbiosis in common carp, Cyprinuscarpio. Environmental Pollution, 266: 115293.
- Katja, S., Georg, B. O. S., Stephan, P. and Christian, E. W. S. 2005. Impact of PCB mixture (Aroclor 1254) and TBT and a mixture of both on swimming behaviour, body growth and enzymatic biotransformation activities (GST) of young carp (Cyprinus carpio). Aquatic Toxicology, 71:49-59.
- Kaur, H., Kalotra, R.,Walia, G.K. andHanda, D. 2013. Dyeing industry effluent induced behavioral and morphological changes in the fish, Cirrhinus mrigal. International Journal of Zoology and Research, 3 (3):13-20.
- Kaushal, B.T, and Mishra, A. 2013. Investigation of acute toxicity of cadmium on snakehead fish Channa punctatus- A comparative toxicity analysis on median lethal concentration. I.J.A.B.R, 3(2): 289-294.
- Kawade, S. and Khillare, Y. 2014. Studies on Toxicity and Behavioural Responses under Cadmium Stress in Channa punctatus (Bloch.) The International Journal of Science &Technoledge, 2 (13): 71-75.
- Lacerda, D., Vergilio, C.D.S., da Silva Souza, T., Viana Costa, L.H., Rangel, T.P., Vaz de Oliveira, B.C., Ribeiro de Almeida, D.Q., Pestana, I.A., Gomes de Almeida, M. and de Rezende, C.E., 2020. Comparative metal accumulation and toxicogenetic damage induction in three neotropical fish species with distinct foraging habits and feeding preferences. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 195: 110449.
- Laovitthyanggoon, S. 2006. Effects of Cadmium level on chromosomal structure of snakehead-fish (Ophiocephalus stiatus). Fac. of Guard. Studies, Mahidol Univ. Thailand.
- Maina, J. N. 1997. The adaptive morphology of the gills of OreochromisalcalicusGrahami: A Cichlid fish which inhabits the hypersomatic, highly alkaline Kenayan lake Magadi. Advance in Fish Research, 2: 1-8.
- Mao, C., Zhai, N., Yang, J., Feng, Y., Cao, Y., Han, X., Ren, G., Yang, G. and Meng, Q.X. 2013. Environmental kuznets curve analysis of the economic development and nonpoint source pollution in the ningxia Yellow river irrigation districts in China. BioMed research international, 7.
- Markowicz, F., Król, G., Szyman´ ska-Pulikowska, A., 2019. Biodegradable packageinnovative purpose or source of the problem. Journal of Ecological Engineering (JEE),20 (1) : 228–237.
- Maruthanayagam, C., Sharmila, G., and Kumar, A. 2002. Toxicity of cadmium on the morphological and behavioural aspects in Labeorohita. Ecology and Ethology of Aquatic Biota, 119-127.
- Mason, C. F. 1996. Biology of freshwater pollution.III Ed., Longman, U.K. 1-4.
- Reda, F.A., Bakr, A.M., Kamel, S.A., Sheba and Doaa, R. A. 2010. A mathematical model for estimating the LC50 (or LD50) among an insect life cycle. Egyptian Academic Journal of Biological Sciences, 32: 75-81.
- Remyla, S. R., Mathan, R., Kenneth, S. S. and Karunthchalam, S. K. 2008. Influence of Zink on Cadmium induced responces in a freshwater Teleost fish Catlacatla. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 34: 169-174.
- Santha, K.M., Balaji, M., Saravanan, K.R., Soumady, D. and Ramudu, K. 2000: Effect of monocrotophos on the optomotorbehaviour of an air breathing fish Anabas testudineus (Bloch). Journal of Environmental Biology, 21(1): 65-68.
- Sabullah, M. K., Ahmad, S. A., Shukor, M. Y., Gansau, A. J., Syed, M. A., Sulaiman, M. R. and Shamaan, N. A. 2015. Heavy metal biomarker: Fish behavior, cellular alteration, enzymatic reaction and proteomics approaches. International Food Research Journal, 22(2): 435-454.
- Sehonova, P., Plhalova, L., Blahova, J., Doubkova, V., Marsalek, P., Prokes, M., Tichy, F., Skladana, M., Fiorino, E., Mikula, P., Vecerek, V., Faggio, C., and Svobodova, Z. 2017. Effects of selected tricyclic antidepressants on early-life stages of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Chemosphere, 185: 1072-1080.
- Shallangwa, S.M. 2011. Toxicity of 2, 4- dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on African mud Clariasgariepinus (teugals). Journal of agricultural science, 6(4): 177-180.
- Sivakumar, S., Karuppassamy, R. and Subhathra, S. 2006. Acute toxicity and behavioural changes in fresh water fish, Mystusvittatus (Bloch.) exposed to chromium (VI)oxide. Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 5: 381-388.
- Sivaperumal, P., Sankar,T.V. and Nair,P.G.V. 2007. Heavy metal concentrations fish, shellfish and fish products from internal markets of India vis-a-vis international standards. Food Chemistry, 102: 612-620.
- Suedel, B. C., Rodgers, Jr. J. H., and Deaver, E. 1997. Experimental that may affect toxicity of cadmium to freshwater organisms. Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 33: 188-193.
- Svecevieus, G. 2001. Avoidance response of rainbow trout, Oncorhyncusmykiss to heavy metal model mixtures. A comparision with acute toxicity tests. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 67: 680-687.
- Wang, J.R., Liu, G.Z., Zhang, C.J., 2018. Breakdown of Fermi liquid theory in topological multi-Weyl semimetals. Physical Reviews B, 98: 205113.