The present study was carried out to assess the planktonic diversity and seasonal variations in the physic-chemical characteristics of Pohra, Wadali and Chhatri surface water reservoirs around Amravati during June 2014 to May 2015. During the course of study the zooplankton in the reservoir under investigation is represented by five major groups i.e. Ostracoda, Rotifera, Cladocera, Protozoa and Copepoda. Among phytoplankton a total of 28 algal species were recorded from all the reservoirs under study with 14 taxa from Chlorophyceae, 9 taxa from Bacillariophyceae and 8 from Cyanophyceae. The Chhatri reservoir was found to contain most of the pollution indicator species. Wadali reservoir also exhibited few pollution tolerant species. The water in all the reservoirs was found to be eutrophic in the order of Pohra > Wadali > Chhatri.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Adoni, A. D. 1985. Workbook on Limnology; Indian MAB Committee., Deptt. Of Envoronment., Govt. of India.
- APHA 1998. Standard methods for examinations of water and waste water (20th Ed.), American Public Health Association, Washington D.C.
- Battish, S. K. 1992. Freshwater zooplankton of India. Published by oxford & IBH publishing Co.PVT.LTD. New Delhi.
- Bhutiani, R. and Ahamad, F. 2018. Efficiency assessment of Sand Intermittent Filtration Technology for waste water Treatment. International Journal of advance research in science and engineering (IJARSE), 7(03): 503-512.
- Bhutiani, R. and Khanna, D. R. 2014. Qualitative studies on planktonic diversity of River Ganga at Haridwar. Biotechnology International, 7(4): 101-108.
- CWC 2016. National register of large dams. Central water commission. http://www.cwc.nic.in/main/downl oads/new%20nrl d.pdf. Accessed 20 Apr 2019.
- Ganpati, S. V. 1970. Energy flow in natural aquatic ecosystem in India. Arch. Hydrobiology, 66: 458-498.
- Gupta, T. and Dey, M. 2012. Hydro biological Characteristics of Some Semi-intensive fish culture ponds of Lumding town of Nagaon district, Assam. Current World Environment, 8: (1).
- Kabra, P. D., Somatkar, J. R. and Dabhade, D. S. 2016. Quantitative Analysis of Zooplanktons of Fresh Water Ecosystem in Washim Town, Maharashatra, India. Indian Streams Research Journal, 6(5): 1-7.
- Kapoor, P. A. 2015. Study on Ecology of zooplankton profusion in Bhoj wetland, India. International scholars journals, 3(6): 249-260.
- Khanna, D. R., Bhutiani, R., Tyagi, V. and Ahamad, F. 2014. Impact of Sugar Mill Effluent on Physico-chemical Properties of Malin River at Najibabad, Bijnore. Indian Journal of Scientific Research (Special edition),: 5-10.
- Kulkarni, D. A. and Surwase, S. S. 2013. Studies on Occurance, Richness and Composition of Zooplankton in Seena river water at, Mohal, Dist- Solapur, MS, India. International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 2(2): 25-28.
- Kumar, J., Alam, A., Sarkar, U. K., Das, B. K., Kumar, V. and Srivastava, S. K. 2020. Assessing the phytoplankton community and diversity in relation to physico?chemical parameters in a tropical reservoir of the River Ganga basin,
- India. Sustainable Water Resources Management, 6:110, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40899-020-00470-z
- Ruhela, M., Bhutiani, R. and Ahamad, F. 2017. Pollution Status of River Hindon from Ghaziabad to Noida with Special Reference to Heavy Metals. International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development, 4(8): 540-548.
- Sarkar, R, Ghosh, A. R. and Mondal, N. K. 2020. Comparative study on physicochemical status and diversity of macrophytes and zooplanktons of two urban ponds of Chandannagar, WB, India. Applied Water Science, 10: 63.
- Sarkar, U. K. and Mishal, P. 2017. Status, potential and prospects of reservoir and wetland fisheries in India—an overview. In: Mohanty BP et al (eds) Souvenir of national seminar on priorities in fisheries and aquaculture. ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, pp 171-185.
- Sarkar, U. K., Sandhya, K. M., Mishal, P., Karnatak, G., Kumari, L., Pannikar, S., Palaniswamy, P., Karthikeyan, R., Mol, M., Paul, S. S., Ramya, T. T., Rao, V. L., Khan, D. S. K., Panda, M. F. D. and Das, B. K. 2017. Status, prospects, threats and the way forward for sustainable management and enhancement of the tropical Indian reservoir fisheries: an overview. Reviews in Fisheries Science & Aquaculture, 26(2): 155-174.
- Sharma, S. P. and Saksena, D. N. 1981. Zooplanktonic fauna of some perennial impoundments at Gwalior, India. Journal of Jiwaji University, 9(112): 73-92.
- Sharma, S., Siddique, A., Singh, K., Chouhan, M., Vyas, A., Solnki, C., Sharma, D., Nair, S. and Sengupta, T. 2010. Population Dynamics and Seasonal Abundance of Zooplankton Community in Narmada River (India). 3741 researcher 0209, 2 (9): 1-9.