The study on “Effect of mepiquat chloride and detopping on growth and production of green gram (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) under vertisols of Punjab” was conducted during summer season of 2017 at the Agricultural Campus for research and advanced studies in Dhablan, Punjab. The field experiment comprising 8 treatments viz., control and 7 growth retardant treatments The result revealed that the grain yield obtained with application of MC @ 250 ppm at 35 and 45 DAS (10.22 q ha-1 ) was significantly higher than control (6.35 q ha-1 ). Various growth and yield attributes dry weight, number of pods plant-1 (8.12) number of branches plant-1 (9.00) were also significantly higher with MC @ 250 ppm (35 and 45 DAS) as compared to control. All treatments resulted in significant reduction in plant height as compare to control. The experimental results revealed that application of plant growth regulator (MC) is an effective management strategy to increase the yield of green gram crop in terms of yield.
- Arteca, R.N. 1996. Plant Growth Substances, Principles and Applications. CBS Publisher and Distributors, New Delhi.
- Brar, Z. S., Singh, M. and Singh, G. 1988. Effect of plant growth regulators on production of moongbean. Journal of Research Punjab Agriculture University(JRPAU), 25: 515-20.
- Dhashora, D., and Jain P.M. 1994. Effect of growth regulators and phosphorus levels on growth and yield of soybean. Madras Agricultural Journal (MAJ), 8: 235-237
- Jackson, M. L. 1967. Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
- Olsen, S. R., Cole, C. V., Watanabe, F. S. and Dean, L. A. 1954. Estimation of available phosphorus in soils by extraction with Sodium biocarbonate.USDA Circular (UC), 939:1-29.
- Piper, C. S. 1966. Soil and Plant Analysis. Hans Publishers, Bombay, India.
- Ramesh, K., and Thirumurugan V. 2001. Effect of seed pelleting and foliar nutrition on growth of soybean. Madras Agricultural Journal (MAJ), 88: 465-468.
- Saisankar, S. 2001. Influence of plant growth regulators, chemicals and nutrients on productivity potential in green gram, M.Sc. Thesis submitted to University of Agriculture Science, Dharwad, Karnataka, India
- Singh, G., Aggarwal, N., Ram, H. and Randhawa. 2012. Drying of foliage summer and kharif mung bean at maturity with paraquat for facilitating combine harvest. Journal of Research in Punjab Agriculture University(JRPAU), 49:216-218.
- Solamani, A., Sivakumar, C., Anbumani, S., Suresh, T., and Arumugam, K. 2001. Role of plant growth regulators on rice production: Agricultural Reviews (AR), 23:33-40.
- Thavaprakash, N., Velayudham, K., Djanaguiraman, M. and Prabakaran, C. 2006. Influence of plant growth promoters on assimilate partitioning and seed yield of green gram. Legume Research (LR), 29:18-24.