In the present study three species of syrphid predators were found feeding on green apple aphid on the apple nursery plants. These species are Betasyrphus serarius (Wiedemann), Episyrphus balteatus De Geer, and Metasyrphus confrater (Wiedemann). These syrphid species belonging to Family Syrphidae of order Diptera. Observations were made on Episyrphus balteatus De Geer a syrphid predator of green apple aphid, Aphis pomi De Geer in Shimla Hills of Himachal Pradesh, India. The larval stages of Episyrphus balteatus De Geer, was found to predate upon the green apple aphid, Aphis pomi De Geer which is a serious pest of apple nursery plants in Himachal Pradesh which is the main apple growing state of India. Feeding potential of larval stages of Episyrphus balteatus De Geer was recorded during summer and autumn season. Present studies show that the larvae of this species can effectively control the populations of green apple aphid, Aphis pomi De Geer in the apple orchards and nurseries.
- Banks, C. J. 1952. The natural enemies of aphids. Rep. Rothamsted Exp. Stn.,: 116-177.
- Bhatia H. L and Saffi ,M. 1932. Life histories of some Indian Syrphidae. Indian J. Agri. Sci., 2: 543-569.
- Carrol, D. P., Hoyt, S. 1984. Natural enemies and their effects on apple aphid, Aphis pomi De Geer (Homoptera: Aphididae), colonies on young apple trees in central Washington. Environ. Entomol., 13: 469-481.
- Campbell, R.E, Davidson, W. M. 1924. Notes on aphidophagous syrphidae of southern California. Bull. Southern Calif. Acad. Sci., 24: 1-14.
- Gautam, D. C., Kumari, M. 2004. Biology of green apple aphid (Aphis pomi De Geer) on apple host. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 61: 229-231.
- Ghorpade, K. D, 1981. Insect prey of Syrphidae (Diptera) from India and neighbouring countries: a review and bibliography. Tropical Pest Management, 27: 62-82.
- Ghosh , A. K. 1974. Aphids (Homoptera: Insect) of economic importance in India. Indian Agriculture, 18: 81-214.
- Hamilton, G. C., Swift, F. C., Marini, R. 1986. Effect of Aphis pomi (Homoptera: Aphdidae) density on apples. J. Econ. Entomol., 79: 471-478.
- Oatman, E. R., Legner, E. F. 1961. Bionomics of the apple aphid, Aphis pomi, on young non-bearing apple trees. J. Econ. Entomol., 54: 1034-1037.
- Roy, P. Basu ,S. K. 1977.Bionomics of aphidophagous syrphid flies. Indian J. Entomol., 39: 165-174.